Landscape lighting

TheOne

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Houston, TX
I am in the process of planning some landscape lighting around my pool. I am looking for suggestions and/or pros/cons of using either low voltage or high voltage lighting. I want to be able to use the backyard pool and outdoor dining area after dark.

I currently just have a sad single bulb fixture above the back door. The pool itself has its own lights of course but I need to illuminate the deck surround and patio/dining areas.

Any suggestions?

I am putting one spotlight on a Jap maple, 5 tier lights in a 23' bed and 11 flush mount lamps along a 47' deck and walkway. You can buy kits or individual lamps. Even the 14guage cable was 1/2 price from Fox and the transformer was $90 cheaper. They have plastic and metal, I went with metal. Got a 200 watt transformer but am only using 142 watts. I might add some deck post lamps to get some light a little higher and a low watt flood to shine down on our dining table.

Just saw this post, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I've found rope lights to be really good for the pool area. The rows of small bulbs don't seem to draw bugs the way a single brighter bulb would, and the light they put out is subtle. You can put them under an eave if you are close to a building. One of the neatest installations of rope lights I've seen was under the cap stone on a low rock wall. You really had to look to figure out where the light was coming from, but you could easily see to do anything but read.

I'm also a big fan of tiki torches for the bug-free effect and for the luau mood they set. Not quite as convenient, but I enjoy sitting by the pool in the evening and watching the reflection of the torches in the pool water while I'm sipping a cold beer. :( Come on warm weather!

With regards to rope lights, I also find them extremely nice, stairs and such really stand out. one draw back is if a bulb burns out the whole thing looks like ...well, you know. There are strip lights and rope lights available made with LED's and you'll never have to worry about any burning out.

hmm I ran a couple hundred feet of low voltage wiring during my post pool build landscaping project. I havent purchased any landscape lights yet though. Is the rope lighting considered low voltage? Can it connect to a low voltage power distribution block thingy?

TheOne said:
hmm I ran a couple hundred feet of low voltage wiring during my post pool build landscaping project. I havent purchased any landscape lights yet though. Is the rope lighting considered low voltage? Can it connect to a low voltage power distribution block thingy?

Rope lighting comes in 120V and low voltage (usually 12V) . Google "low voltage rope light" and you will get plenty of hits. I actually prefer the incandescent over the LED because it has a warmer color. Rope light is available in colors, but in plain white, LEDs are closer to daylight colors. The incandescent lights can be dimmed too, so you can tune them to the look you want.

You may also want to consider putting the lights on a dimmer switch so that you can set different moods with the amount of light. I installed six low voltage lights in my pergola and put them on a dimmer switch. I figured no matter what I put in for lights, there will be times when I just want a little mood light and other times I would want more light for playing cards, reading something, etc. Putting the lights on a dimmer worked out very well for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
brittmer said:
You may also want to consider putting the lights on a dimmer switch so that you can set different moods with the amount of light. I installed six low voltage lights in my pergola and put them on a dimmer switch. I figured no matter what I put in for lights, there will be times when I just want a little mood light and other times I would want more light for playing cards, reading something, etc. Putting the lights on a dimmer worked out very well for me.

How did you connect your dimmer switch? The type of system I was planning on using is where all the lights are connected inline with just one end plugged into the power distribution/timer.

John - I understand that the bright white lighting currently on the market isn't nice for many applications, however, if you look around, the LED MArket changes daily.
2 years ago, LED xmas lights really started to take off, the bright white ones were HUGE sellers, probably because instead of adding a string to your incadescents, you had to replace them all because the color didn't match, last xmas, lo and behold, a warm yellow/white just like incadescent bulbs hit the market in xmas strings, once again, the season's best seller.
If they aren't available today, they will be shortly. keep your eyes open.
EDIT - Just googled them, and in the time I wrote this they became available!!! - Warm white LED rope light.

I put in low voltage LED lights. They can work from solar or a transformer. I opted for the transformer setup. Very small transformer, lights have plugs on wires 6ft long two per light to connect them together. I only have 3ft of planting area between pool decking and fence on two sides. A flood light on centered on each panel (plants), and walkway lights spaced at the deck edge around both sides. Two bamboo style on the Tiki bar and a bamboo chute light in a big potted plant. They are all hooked to the one transformer which turns on automaticaly and a timer shuts them off at 10pm. Soft white light, not blinding when your in the pool. Rope Light (110volt) under the top inside the Tiki bar. Low voltage 9 floods, 6 walkway, 3 specialty.

Here is a picture of one of the low voltage lights that is on my pergola and attached to a dimmer. There are 6 of these lights total. I will get a better picture in a day or so.
82.jpg

Hey guys and gals,

I would like to chime in on the outdoor lighting options. I actually use this product in my professional business, but is great for landscape applications where you would normally use rope light. It is UV protected and looks like neon, but almost invisible during the day. Several color choices. Go to this web site and read about the applications. I can speak first hand, this is a quaity product with endless limitations for outdoor applications and it will last forever (well not really) but much longer than rope light.

http://www.lighttape.com/

wardsntx said:
Hey guys and gals,

I would like to chime in on the outdoor lighting options. I actually use this product in my professional business, but is great for landscape applications where you would normally use rope light. It is UV protected and looks like neon, but almost invisible during the day. Several color choices. Go to this web site and read about the applications. I can speak first hand, this is a quaity product with endless limitations for outdoor applications and it will last forever (well not really) but much longer than rope light.

That could make for some nice lighting. Any idea of cost?

JohnT said:
wardsntx said:
Hey guys and gals,

That could make for some nice lighting. Any idea of cost?

I found this site that was having a sale. Very cool...but also pretty pricey IMO.

http://www.lightingbyaurora.com/light%2 ... 0Offer.htm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.