Question about planting small palm trees right next to pool

HX_Guy

Nov 13, 2013
We are in the process of building a new pool and we want to plant Pygmy Date Palms in 6 planters around the pool. Question is...can they be planted directly in the planter holes made by the pool builder or should we put concrete pots inside the holes? Is it a problem for the pool if there is watering that close to the pool shell? Would the roots be a problem from a Pygmy Palm?

The planter areas made by the pool builder are 24" wide X 12" deep.

poolpots1.jpg

poolpots2.jpg

Re: Question about planting small palm trees right next to p

Welcome to TFP HX! :wave:

I'd put them in pots so they got proper drainage. The first doesn't look like you'd ever have that, and can't tell for sure about the second picture.

I'm with Brushpup on putting them in pots. Although Pygmy Palm roots aren't as invasive as, say, a Weeping Willow, there is always a risk of tree roots potentially messing with the pool's structure when they are planted close to a pool. IMHO, that is not a risk worth taking.

It's hard to tell from the pics - do the planters have a base of any kind or are they just open to the dirt below?
I have three, 36" Diameter planters next to my pool. I have Sylvester palms in two of them and a triple Pygmy in the third. Although mine have a concrete ring around them, they have no base and it's just dirt below.
I took a lot of advice before planting and was told that the Pygmy's roots will just go down if they can and aren't going to hurt the pool structure. Mine are quite deep within the planters (a good 6" down from the top) with 4-6" of pebbles on top. I have sprinklers in the planters but they stay off - they're only there for future planning purposes if I put something else in there further down the line really. It's easier to water them by hand.
If you put them in the planter, make sure the coping has an overhang on the side slightly and that the soil level isn't too high. You don't want to get any fertilizer in the pool...!

Here's the triple Pygmy so you can see what I mean

I don't think you'd have any problem at all. Where are you located? Pygmy dates are pretty plants, but they will freeze back badly below the mid-20s or so.

Never mind, I see Phoenix over in your build thread. Those should do fine, but I'd dig down a little and make sure any caliche underneath is well busted up, so there will be some drainage.

Thanks for the replies guys.

A potential problem is that some of the built in "planters" are solid concrete underneath as you can see in the first photo above. When they dug the pool, they tried to dig it in the shape of the planters going all the way down but the soil fell apart so they had to fill all that in with concrete. Now the backside of the planters is all open and there is dirt there (though it's covered in broken up concrete now, it will be cleaned up) so water can drain away from the pool actually. Should that be ok?

One other quick question...see those pieces of rebar sticking out in various places? Is that a problem with potential rust later? How should that be handled?

So, how deep will the soil be? Less than 12 inches? That's kinda shallow for something that will get reasonable tall with time...I'd be concerned that they might topple when the monsoons blow through. You can always try it and see how it goes!

The holes are 24" wide by 12" deep right now...with the coping they will end up 14" deep but I figure I can get 12" of dirt in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.