Self Designed Pool Build - Phoenix, AZ

HX_Guy

Nov 13, 2013
Hey everyone...new member here and we just stared building a pool a couple weeks ago.

We did our own design (hey, they said any shape!) and wanted a sort of Mediterranean/Old World feel to it (I know you're thinking Lions Heads, really? :D ). Pool is not that big or deep, but it's not like we're going to be doing laps.

Had to sort of get on it pretty quick as the neighbor was cool enough to let us go through his yard since our side access is only 5' wide and his is a lot bigger...but he is starting his backyard landscaping so had to at least do the dig pretty fast.

Some specs and details:

• 22' x 17'
• 336 SQ FT Area
• 83' Perimeter
• 10,500 Gallon

• 6' long Baja entry w/ umbrella sleeve
• Two in-pool TrazoCrete 30" round tables w/ umbrella sleeves
• Wrap around bench seating
• 36" Sheer decent waterfall & 2 Lions Heads scuppers
• MagnaSweep Select in-floor cleaning system (lifetime warranty)
• PebbleSheen White Diamonds w/ 20% Luminous Blue Blend glass interior finish (lifetime warranty)
• Intellicolor 5G pool light
• Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Foot Cartridge
• Pentair Intellifo VS3050 Variable Speed Pump.
• Travertine 12"x6" coping

This is design we gave them...
1.jpg

And this is what they came up with...
20.jpg

21.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

10.jpg

This is the interior finish, we really wanted that sparkling aqua blue color.
9.jpg

Table finish and waterline tile.
15.jpg

Water feature finish.
16.jpg

Travertine coping finish.
17.jpg

And on to the fun stuff...

First the layout, the messed it up the first time (put the pool to far forward) and had to come out and do it again.
2.jpg

Neighbor let us knock down his side wall and go through his yard. He was going to put in an RV gate anyway so it wasn't a huge inconvenience, plus I gave him some money and paid the pool buys to remove all that dirt you see on the side there...but still way cool of him to allow us to do it.
4.jpg

Fence between our yards knocked down and excavator coming through...
3.jpg

Let the digging begin!
5.jpg

Pool all dug out and forms in place. The soil here is pretty crappy, it's amazing anything grows at all.
6.jpg

Plumbing...
7.jpg

8.jpg

Rebar...
18.jpg

19.jpg

Shotcrete...

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

They placed the pool light too low, it was supposed to be centered in that middle column but they are saying it will be ok, light output won't be affected.

34.jpg

Re: New Pool Build - Phoenix, AZ

Update time!

They did the water feature, waterline tile and coping this week, though they are still working on the coping.
Next up is install of the in-floor cleaning heads, the in-pool tables, yard clean up and then the Pebblesheen finish and done!

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

53.jpg

I love how the water feature is framed in the window from inside the house, it'll be nice when the water fall is running.
51.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And it's done!!! :D It's now filling up with water from the hose (should take about 6 hours I guess) and then they will be back in a couple days for the start-up process! It think with the blue beads in the finish, we should get that nice sparking blue water we're looking for.

Since last update, they finished the coping, came out and did the PebbleTec BeatCrete surface, then came back out the next day buffed, power washed and acid washed the pool...here are the pics.

54.jpg

56.jpg

64.jpg

57.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

Is it full yet? Please post pics as I'd love to see it full of water! I really like the finish you chose! :cool:

Still not full...I must have the slowest hose ever. :) Has about 1 ft still left till it reaches the middle of the waterline tile. It's also cloudy outside today so not a good day for pictures...I'll put some up though as soon as it looks good!

Well the sun ended up coming out and the pool is full of water so here it is. Water color is nice, though a little bluer would be nice...I'm thinking it will change a little after they do the startup and the chlorine does it's thing?

65.jpg

68.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

Simulated view while sitting at the table. :)
69.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.