Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump not working... Making humming noise.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump not working... Making humming noise.

Help! Our pump is not working. It makes a humming noise when we turn it on. So we replaced the capacitor and that did not solve the problem. Any ideas on what else it could be? Attach is a picture if it helps in any way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    35,000 gallon inground pool
    D.E. Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump not working... Making humming noise.

Does the shaft spin freely? Usually you can take of the end cap and try spinning the shaft from there (with power turned off to the pump).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I dont think my husband tried that... I will tell him too. Would that be an easy fix?
    D.E. Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If it doesn't spin freely it may indicate either something is jamming the impeller, which should be an easy fix or bearings that need replacing which is a little more work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok i will tell him to check that out and see what it is...
    D.E. Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

If the shaft spins freely, the humming likely points to a bad start capacitor. Very cheap and easy fix if that's the case.

Can you post a picture of the whole pump from above?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by luria8
    Help! Our pump is not working. It makes a humming noise when we turn it on. So we replaced the capacitor and that did not solve the problem. Any ideas on what else it could be? Attach is a picture if it helps in any way.
    Sounds just like my pump i had to replace. Turn it on and it would hum. I had to replace it. To just replace the motor was like 50 bucks cheaper than replacing the entire thing. So i just replaced everything.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

8. Back To Top    #8

It could also be a faulty capacitor. I've been through several in my short time as a pool owner.. I would try a couple before you rule that out.
    10,700 gal IG vinyl
    Pentair Triton II TR50 sand filter
    Hayward SharkVac XL cleaner; Emerson 1HP pump
    Bioguard Mineral Springs SWG
    2 skimmers

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all the help!!! You saved me some $$$!!! It was a bad bearing that needed to be replaced! That solved my issue! Now i have another issue with DE getting back into the pool! Not complaining though, i love my pool!!
    D.E. Filter