Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No suction to skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

No suction to skimmer

I have a 10k gallon pool with DE filter and in ground pop ups. Pressure is fine and pop ups are working but nothing is getting sucked into the skimmer at the moment, there is debris over the entire surface of the pool. Is something blocked?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No suction to skimmer

Welcome to tfp, tantontowers

If you popups are working and are fed by the same pump that is hooked up to the skimmer, then the water must be coming from somewhere. Do you have floor drains? If you do is there a valve at the equipment pad that allows you to choose floor drains verses skimmer? Posting a pic of your equipment pad may help. Also, it might help if you could post a picture looking down into your skimmer basket area (with the basket removed).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

One more question, do you have a weir on your skimmer?
    Although it does sound more like your suction is coming from the floor instead of the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes and the weir won't stay in place. Also the leveler isn't working, I have had to turn the water off to stop it overflowing. Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/108616863@N07/

5. Back To Top    #5

The plastic pins on your weir have worn away, so you need to buy a new one (comes with the piece that is screwed into the skimmer).

Is the flap on the bottom of the float diverter (spaceship) in the skimmer open? If not then that forces the suction to be mostly from the floor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

No, I think I closed it. So it should be fully open?

7. Back To Top    #7

Depends how much flow you want through the skimmer. I would mostly open it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

or just take it out

9. Back To Top    #9

Opened the diverter and put new weir in. Ran pump overnight. Still no suction. Debris all over the surface still. Any other ideas?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

when the pump is on, without the diverter in there, is there suction coming from the skimmer line? stick your hand down there and feel for suction

11. Back To Top    #11

Nope. No suction. Does that imply a blockage somewhere?

12. Back To Top    #12

Is water coming out of the return jets?
    Any valves by the pump?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

yeah like jblizzle says, are there any valves near the pump? if not, yes your skimmer line could be clogged... do you have alot of leaves? if it's clogged theres a few things we can try

14. Back To Top    #14

By return jets do you mean pop ups? Water is coming out of them yes. No leaves really as I live in Arizona.

15. Back To Top    #15

There is an inlet valve. I have switched to that setting and let the pump run but it made no difference.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

we need to see some pictures... there would still be pop up returns if the skimmer was clogged more than likely because water would be getting sucked from the main drain. does the pump have full prime? does it sound different like it's cavitating? Doesn't sound like a clogged impeller but that's worth a check, until you send us a pic or two of your setup

17. Back To Top    #17