Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: have I damaged my heat pump?

have I damaged my heat pump?

So I've been waiting for the pool guys to close the pool and I've kept the pool running 24 hours a day, and for the past few days temperatures have dipped below freezing.

This wouldn't be an issue since the pool has been running but I just noticed the valves for the heat pump are reversed and the heat pump is actually being bypassed, I must have left it that way on a recent vacuuming.

Is it likely that I caused internal damage to any of the components of the heat pump that contained water that froze?

The pool company said I should just open the valve so that anything frozen can unfreeze so that it can be properly closed for the winter when they get there.

What do you think?
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 1.5HP Hayward Super II pump. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

Re: have I damaged my heat pump?

I depends how cold it gets for how long. If it's just dipping below freezing at night then I'm sure you are fine. Think about it this way; when it gets barely below freezing overnight puddles might ice over a thin sheet but not freeze solid. Don't forget to that during the day when it is above freezing especially if the sun hits the heatpump it will absorb that heat. So when it does actually get below freezing at night the heat that the heatpump absorbed during the day has to dissipate and by the time that rolls around it's getting close the sunrise again to warm things up.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

I hope so, I definitely saw hard ice on the street wherever water had been.

This was the temperature for the last few days, so hopefully, based on what you are saying, I should be okay.

High 30, low 29
    High 32, low 23
    High 39, low 28
    High 41, low 37
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 1.5HP Hayward Super II pump. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control.

Did you open the valves back up to get water moving through the heater? If so, and nothing is dripping, then you should be fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

So I reversed the valves, my pipe that says cold is open and the one that says hot is open and a third one between them is closed.

My heat pump gives an error code of FS, I looked it up and it means this:

Unit currently in defrosting cycle (the fan works but the compressor is stopped). This is normal operation when outside temperatures are cold.

The problem is, now that the heat pump valves are open, everything works for maybe 15 minutes and then the pump turns off with low flow.

It's dark outside but I don't see or hear anything dripping.

Also I'm not seeing air in the pump but the psi drops below zero with the heater open now.

Well I got through it, I rest the breaker and that got rid of the error message, then it was just a flow problem with the valves to the heater on.

The pump would turn itself off after approximately 15 without proper flow and I would just keep turning it back on, back washing didn't make a difference.

Finally after about 4 hours of doing this, whatever was causing the flow issue stopped occurring and all appears to be well. I'm guessing something internal to the heat pump was frozen and it took that long to unfreeze.