Aqualink selection

bsjeep

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
Hello TFPers

I'm currently designing my ideal pool/spa setup, and I have specific Aqualink questions. Right now I'm leaning towards all Jandy equipment (with exception of pentair VS/VF pumps, color LED pentair bubblers, and that's it so far.)

Attached is a diagram for plumbing to the pad, Here's my basic full feature list:
Pool
Spill over spa
spa jets
baja shelf bubblers
slide
waterfall feature (not spa, next to slide)
SWG
solar pool heating
possible C1900 with pH acid dispenser

According to my current diagram, I went with the goal of being able to run every feature at once. Slide, waterfall, bubblers on one pump, spa jets loop 1 and spa heating on one pump, and spa jets loop 2 on third pump. It would be nice to have less pumps but I haven't figured it out yet.

[attachment=0:35tnbg9y]Plumbing.png[/attachment:35tnbg9y]

So, the questions:
1. Looks like I need an aqua link RS12 ? (based on I tried to wire a RS8 in my head using the manual and ran out of relays and JVAs) But with SWG I need RS12 with pure link boxes? to achieve RS12 I need a standard box (RS8 relays) and an add on box?
2. So then I noticed the RS2-10, but do I really have two bodies of water if I have a spill over spa and shared filter/heater equipment?
3. I have quite a few valves (marked with A) in my diagram that would be JVA controlled. But it seems like I only get a few in the aqua link, and I can only associated one JVA with one relay?
4. For example on waterfall/slide/bubblers, I wanted one pump (possible VS with a couple speed settings, or a two speed.) and then on/off each JVA that turns on/off each of the three features. Sound good? or is there a better way?
5. SWG was going with basic Jandy with the pure link supported box, sound good? opinions? can aqua link support non-jandy SWG?
6. I don't have any options but can aqualink support the Pentair Colorcascade LED bubbler light? anyone have this with Jandy control?
7. for the two LED lights in the pool I was going to wire them to the same relay, so that they would operate and change color together, sounds fine?
8. is there enough connectors to get temp of the air, pool, spa, solar?
9. will the Jandy actually display a flow rate from any sensor or equipment? like a pentair VF pump?
10. with the C1900 I saw a post that someone used it (ORP) for salt dispense, thoughts?
11. Can I program everything through the iaqualink interface if that's all I get?

My basic conclusion (without understanding all the programming from the manual yet) is the following:
One Jandy PureLink standard power center
One Jandy SubPanel power center
One Jandy RS12 aqualink
One Jandy iAqualink interface kit (no pda or other displays, all apple for now)
One (or two) Jandy RS485 breakout/expansion board (if they don't come with the power centers)

Attachments

• Plumbing.png
    Plumbing.png
    300.2 KB · Views: 151
I never completely figured out the iAqualink I had someone else spec for me... and lost motivation once it began to work.
From my experience... you cannot control a SWG that is not from Jandy. Our Pentair is run manually.
You can control a variety of color lights, assuming they use some kind of power pulsing to set color. Sadly my bubbler light is not one of the 4 supported though... so although I can turn it on/off and set a color, the color I set is not the one I get.
For my VS pump I get RPM, not flow rate.
I get air temp and water temp only, there is a solar temp sensor that is wired but it is used to determine if the solar array is hotter than the water and not displayed. Can't say for the spa, don't have one.

bsjeep said:
Hello TFPers

I'm currently designing my ideal pool/spa setup, and I have specific Aqualink questions. Right now I'm leaning towards all Jandy equipment (with exception of pentair VS/VF pumps, color LED pentair bubblers, and that's it so far.)

Attached is a diagram for plumbing to the pad, Here's my basic full feature list:
Pool
Spill over spa
spa jets
baja shelf bubblers
slide
waterfall feature (not spa, next to slide)
SWG
solar pool heating
possible C1900 with pH acid dispenser

According to my current diagram, I went with the goal of being able to run every feature at once. Slide, waterfall, bubblers on one pump, spa jets loop 1 and spa heating on one pump, and spa jets loop 2 on third pump. It would be nice to have less pumps but I haven't figured it out yet.

[attachment=0:wv5ymwl8]Plumbing.png[/attachment:wv5ymwl8]

So, the questions:
1. Looks like I need an aqua link RS12 ? (based on I tried to wire a RS8 in my head using the manual and ran out of relays and JVAs) But with SWG I need RS12 with pure link boxes? to achieve RS12 I need a standard box (RS8 relays) and an add on box?

You need 1 RS-PS12 and 2 power center boxes. Every power center box comes with 4 relays. Jandy has made it nearly impossible to screw up the amount of relays you get. The RS-PS12 comes with 4 relays because Jandy knows you'll need 2 power center boxes, and therefore will end up with 12 total relays. The power center part numbers you need will depend on whether or not you want a subpanel for breakers and if you want to run the Aquapure chlorinator system as well.

2. So then I noticed the RS2-10, but do I really have two bodies of water if I have a spill over spa and shared filter/heater equipment?

The RS2-10 is for dual-equipment systems. It means you have 2 pumps and then 10 auxiliaries. Dual equipment means you have a filtration pump and filter for your pool and another filtration pump for your spa. Based on your post, you don't need this nor would this benefit you in any way.

3. I have quite a few valves (marked with A) in my diagram that would be JVA controlled. But it seems like I only get a few in the aqua link, and I can only associated one JVA with one relay?
You can control up to 4 valves from each PCB. Since you have a pool/spa combo system (same plumbing between them), your intake and return JVA sockets will be used by definition. Cleaner and solar are free and available to be used for your cleaner valve and solar valve, but if you do not need these for cleaner or solar you can assign these JVA's to an auxiliary (relay) and then program your auxiliary just as you would a pump. The JVA will open and close according to this program.

4. For example on waterfall/slide/bubblers, I wanted one pump (possible VS with a couple speed settings, or a two speed.) and then on/off each JVA that turns on/off each of the three features. Sound good? or is there a better way?
You can do this with any pump, but if you want to control the speed,up to 4 variable speed pumps can be put on the Aqualink RS. You'll need to assign the speed under SYSTEM SETUP, but it can be done with ease. You'll have your installer wire the relay, lets call it aux 3, to the pump on the line side of the relay. The comm lines from the pump run to the RS board. Assign a free JVA to the aux 3 and whenever you turn aux 3 on your pump will come on to the desired speed and the valve will open.

5. SWG was going with basic Jandy with the pure link supported box, sound good? opinions? can aqua link support non-jandy SWG?
If you go with the Aquapure chlorine generator, you'll want the power center 6613AP (standard, no subpanel for breakers) or 6614AP-L (breaker subpanel). Both of these come with the Aquapure-equipped power center (transformer, PIB, UIB).

6. I don't have any options but can aqualink support the Pentair Colorcascade LED bubbler light? anyone have this with Jandy control?
The Aqualink RS can only support Pentair Sam/Sal lights and Pentair Intellibrite lights, though the Intellibrite's can only be programmed from the Aqualink RS One Touch controller, at the moment.

7. for the two LED lights in the pool I was going to wire them to the same relay, so that they would operate and change color together, sounds fine?
Not a problem so long as the amperage doesn't pop the breaker. Lights typically draw very low amperage but your installer should check the draw and wire as necessary.

8. is there enough connectors to get temp of the air, pool, spa, solar?
Pool/Spa combo systems will only measure either pool or the spa at any given time. This is only displayed when the pump is on, and which it measures is dependent on whether it's in pool or spa mode. Air temp is always displayed on every system. Solar is only displayed when solar heating is enabled. If it helps to explain why, you have a water temp sensor, air temp sensor and solar. Water temp is not pool temp or spa temp...it's simply water temp. The mode the system is in will change what temp it's reading.

Dual equipment systems will use the solar temp sensor location for the Spa sensor, so they can display both pool and spa at the same time.

9. will the Jandy actually display a flow rate from any sensor or equipment? like a pentair VF pump?
The Pentair Intelliflo VF is unique in that it regulates it's flow rate as the pump runs. The Jandy pumps will not do this, though you can change the RPM's which will, of course, change the flow rate. Flow will need to be measured by your installer using the pressure ports on the pump to determine TDH.

10. with the C1900 I saw a post that someone used it (ORP) for salt dispense, thoughts?
You can do this, though it's a bit excessive. It's typically used on commercial applications. The C1900 can be wired so it controls the Aquapure and ORP can be set to turn the Aquapure on or off once ORP drops too low or reaches it's set point.

11. Can I program everything through the iaqualink interface if that's all I get?
Absolutely.

My basic conclusion (without understanding all the programming from the manual yet) is the following:
One Jandy PureLink standard power center
One Jandy SubPanel power center
One Jandy RS12 aqualink
One Jandy iAqualink interface kit (no pda or other displays, all apple for now)
One (or two) Jandy RS485 breakout/expansion board (if they don't come with the power centers)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.