Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: For those living in Texas, do you winterize your LQ?

1. Back To Top    #1

For those living in Texas, do you winterize your LQ?

I figure the flow rate on the tiny little LQ pipes are at a much higher risk of freezing than the regular PVC pipes for the pool. Does anyone winterize their pool in the South or just let it go? I have the rate control down pretty low right now.

Leave it installed or remove it for the winter??
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: For those living in Texas, do you winterize your LQ?

VERY good question. I do not have an LQ but I suspect the high concentration of chlorine will make it pretty much freeze proof. Others will have a more knowledgeable opinion.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The guy I gave mine to winterizes his. I personally do not close my pool, if it were still on mine, it'd be in operation through the winter months. I suspect you'd need to cover it if it is outdoors though.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine usage is so low in the winter.........why not just unhook it and take it in.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!