Restoring my pool!!!

RobbieH

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 30, 2010
Dallas, TX
Finally, the time has arrived where we can rebuild/restore our pool!

We believe the pool was built in 1957 (very sure). House was built in 1954 and they did some major upgrades 3 years later. From the receipts I could find, the basic replaster was done in either 1989 or 1991. The style and color of the water line tiles seem to support this.

pool2.jpg

pool1.jpg

After talking to a few companies, both for materials and the labor, we settled on Wet Edge Primera Stone in Carribean Coast.
http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/comp ... es/?plid=1
Contrary to how the name sounds, this is not a rough surface like Pebble Tec. It is a polished surface like the 50's and 60's terrazzo floors you've seen in office buildings and mid-century modern houses. Based on the year our house was built, you can see why this surface is appealing to us.

Romo's Replastering is doing the work.

For the water line tile, we have chosen Vidrepur Pastel Mix:
http://www.cooltiles.com/vidpastelmix.html
Click the pictures within that webpage for larger photos. Again, we are attempting to match the look of the 50's, or maybe an upgrade of a 50's look. We are doing this in our whole home, so the pool has to match.

The drain and tile removal started today. More pictures as the work continues tomorrow.

In the third photo, you can see we have some bulging in the pool. The builder pointed this out so we wouldn't think he caused it. My understanding is this is not uncommon in a pool this old. It has never bothered me.

The four returns are simple copper returns with no threads. Those will be chipped out and new PVC standard fittings put in place so I will have pressure side returns I can use.

1_zpsd85680d8.jpg

2_zps9d32882e.jpg

3_zps002f8380.jpg

4_zpsb9281c2a.jpg

Can't wait to see the pool finished! Good Luck with it! :cool:

RobbieH:

That pool looks in great shape, especially considering that it was built in the 50's. When we were looking at houses a few years back, we saw much newer pools that couldn't come close to the condition of your pool. If the replaster done in '89 / '91 was the most recent one performed, it is a testament to the potential longevity of a pool surface in a pool with properly maintained water chemistry.

Now you can see how bad the plaster really is. When I bought the house, the CH was almost zero. When the water gets lower, I'll try to get some more detailed photos of the floor. It is in bad shape. I have some hollow spots too, they are going to cut them out and refill them - at least that's how I understood it. I'll have pictures of course.

6_zps20f2d110.jpg

5_zpsfcac6cae.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here I am finally Robbie just catching up. I am so glad you decided to put this up to share with us, but even more so that you went with the
finish you did. I think it's going to be fabulous man, and can't wait for the rest of the install.

Side benefit is no worry about leaves for a while! :party:

Switching from Caribbean Coast to Sky Blue. Plasterer got new, larger samples and the Caribbean Coast has more black than we wanted. In the samples below, the small sample is what we selected. The upper large sample is the same finish, the lower one is Sky Blue.

The next picture shows where the plaster has been removed where there were pockets between the plaster and the concrete. He found 2 layers of plaster. Given the age of the pool, we guess it has been taken back to the bare concrete a few times.

Third picture shows where the existing copper returns have been removed and the new plastic eyeballs have been put into place. In the second picture you can also see a return that's plugged, that one will be a capped and useable return for a pressure side cleaner. I've been wanting to use a pressure side cleaner for a long time, so this is good news.

Samples_zps7a729595.jpg

9_zps84a0672d.jpg

10_zpsffebe53a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.