Restoring my pool!!!

I guess I have too, but it really is unreal how much different it looks. So why don't they take out all the old instead of where it is laminated only? I figured all of it would be removed down to the shell.

It takes a jackhammer to get out what's not loose. I watched them do it in a few spots were we are making changes, such as the new return eyeballs. He said in California the state makes them take it to concrete, but they don't have to in Texas. The warranty covers the entire structure once they are done, so no worries there.

Interesting. It sounds like if it's that hard, it shouldn't be a problem to leave it in the strongly-adhered places. I asked our renovator about when he chooses to sandblast versus jackhammer chip out (one renovator had told me he does sand in the winter and jackhammer in the summer) and the renovator we chose said he does sandblast year round, and that either way he takes it all the way to the gunite. I was worried that if he sandblasted only (i.e., to remove the painted layers, we've counted at least four in the gouged spots that show through to gunite), we'd have a build up of layers of plaster and years down the road, it would require more money to get through several layers of plaster to do a resurface than if we just did it now, while we are tearing the whole backyard apart and pouring money into that hole in the ground like it's going out of style. :) In our part of OK, there are no regulations or laws covering pool renovation - we don't even need permits. I'm sure if we end up changing some electrical or whatnot, there would be a permit for that, but in general, there is no permit needed for the deck, coping, tile or plaster.

They did the polishing yesterday while I was out of town. Refill was started when they were complete. Just looked and the pool will be full pretty soon. Looks wonderful! I will have some pictures up shortly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just curious what your flow rate was for the fill? Anxious to see the final result. I would imagine you don't need near the brushing of a pebble or Quartz finish? How about anything special for startup chemistry?

Oh, I have no idea what the flow rate was. I just know the irrigation meter moves a ton of water. I'm on 1.25 acres, so the irrigation meter flows a bunch of water. The plus side is I don't have to pay for sewer and such on that meter. Water rates on that one are cheap.

That sounds like a nice option to have. I was just curious how long it takes to fill up. 44K is a substantial amount of water. I am likely going to truck about half of mine for fear of the well not performing long enough. Plus the flow rate is only about 11-12 GPM.

More to come for sure, but here are a few. I am loving having modern eyeballs and fittings. The light is still not hooked up, it's been tough. The wiring is in galvanized conduit, and after around 50-60 years in the ground, it has rusted and closed up around the existing wires. The wiring is brittle, so we may be digging it up. These pictures don't do justice to the finish, it's really pretty. The abalone shell in the finish sparkles. I LOVE the water line tile we picked, it was an extremely difficult decision, but now that it is all in, I know we picked the right thing.

The water looks green not due to the finish, but because it's not clean yet.

11_zps555cefd3.jpg

13_zps23b80f75.jpg

14_zps73620b81.jpg

12_zps556c3d1a.jpg

To us, these new tiles look more 50s than the ones that were there. Those other tiles reminded me of the 80s. Our goal with the pool's surface was to give it a terrazzo look, something very popular in the 50s and 60s. It's actually closer in real life than in the pictures. We couldn't be more happy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.