Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring my pool!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Restoring my pool!!!

Finally, the time has arrived where we can rebuild/restore our pool!

We believe the pool was built in 1957 (very sure). House was built in 1954 and they did some major upgrades 3 years later. From the receipts I could find, the basic replaster was done in either 1989 or 1991. The style and color of the water line tiles seem to support this.

After talking to a few companies, both for materials and the labor, we settled on Wet Edge Primera Stone in Carribean Coast.
    http://www.wetedgetechnologies.com/comp ... es/?plid=1
    Contrary to how the name sounds, this is not a rough surface like Pebble Tec. It is a polished surface like the 50's and 60's terrazzo floors you've seen in office buildings and mid-century modern houses. Based on the year our house was built, you can see why this surface is appealing to us.

Romo's Replastering is doing the work.

For the water line tile, we have chosen Vidrepur Pastel Mix:
    http://www.cooltiles.com/vidpastelmix.html
    Click the pictures within that webpage for larger photos. Again, we are attempting to match the look of the 50's, or maybe an upgrade of a 50's look. We are doing this in our whole home, so the pool has to match.

The drain and tile removal started today. More pictures as the work continues tomorrow.

In the third photo, you can see we have some bulging in the pool. The builder pointed this out so we wouldn't think he caused it. My understanding is this is not uncommon in a pool this old. It has never bothered me.

The four returns are simple copper returns with no threads. Those will be chipped out and new PVC standard fittings put in place so I will have pressure side returns I can use.

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Restoring my pool!!!

The ancient light that has never worked is being replaced with a multi-color LED.

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't wait to see the pool finished! Good Luck with it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Very exciting Robbie...though I did kind of like the old look.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

The clay tile decking and coping is staying. It is original.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    The clay tile decking and coping is staying. It is original.
    Good news
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

RobbieH:

That pool looks in great shape, especially considering that it was built in the 50's. When we were looking at houses a few years back, we saw much newer pools that couldn't come close to the condition of your pool. If the replaster done in '89 / '91 was the most recent one performed, it is a testament to the potential longevity of a pool surface in a pool with properly maintained water chemistry.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Now you can see how bad the plaster really is. When I bought the house, the CH was almost zero. When the water gets lower, I'll try to get some more detailed photos of the floor. It is in bad shape. I have some hollow spots too, they are going to cut them out and refill them - at least that's how I understood it. I'll have pictures of course.

9. Back To Top    #9

This will be fun to follow. Good luck with the project!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

10. Back To Top    #10

Water line tile going on.

11. Back To Top    #11

Here's up close to the old tile.

12. Back To Top    #12

I like the tile! Romo's is the same company that will do our plaster.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

13. Back To Top    #13

That's what I figured!!! They are highly recommended. The lead just left, he was going through and showing me what was good and bad about my existing stuff. Very interesting.

14. Back To Top    #14

Cool - glad to hear that! We won't be there for a couple of weeks.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

15. Back To Top    #15

How awesome! Can't wait to follow along with your progress. That terrazzo style finish looks perfect for the vintage of your pool. Wishing you smooth sailing during the remodel!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

16. Back To Top    #16

Here I am finally Robbie just catching up. I am so glad you decided to put this up to share with us, but even more so that you went with the
    finish you did. I think it's going to be fabulous man, and can't wait for the rest of the install.

Side benefit is no worry about leaves for a while!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

Switching from Caribbean Coast to Sky Blue. Plasterer got new, larger samples and the Caribbean Coast has more black than we wanted. In the samples below, the small sample is what we selected. The upper large sample is the same finish, the lower one is Sky Blue.

The next picture shows where the plaster has been removed where there were pockets between the plaster and the concrete. He found 2 layers of plaster. Given the age of the pool, we guess it has been taken back to the bare concrete a few times.

Third picture shows where the existing copper returns have been removed and the new plastic eyeballs have been put into place. In the second picture you can also see a return that's plugged, that one will be a capped and useable return for a pressure side cleaner. I've been wanting to use a pressure side cleaner for a long time, so this is good news.

18. Back To Top    #18

Wow! That's a lot of work! Love the Sky Blue btw.

19. Back To Top    #19

The Sky Blue is costing me $400 more. No biggie in the scope of things.

20. Back To Top    #20

Will you be taking it back to the bare concrete all over or just in those spots where there was delamination occurring already?
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast