Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jacuzzi J380 Gfci Breaker tripping

1. Back To Top    #1

Jacuzzi J380 Gfci Breaker tripping

After a lot of rain the other day, I went to get into my Jacuzzi J380 and noticed the power was off. I found the GFCI breaker in the panel had tripped and was unsuccessful in getting it to reset. I did notice that it takes about 2 seconds to trip and in that time I get the four dashes (watchdog error) on the LCD display. I tried troubleshooting by removing fuses and finally found that if I remove the 1.25A fuse it does not trip. A troubleshooting manual shows this as the Transformer Primary fuse but other places I see that fuse is to the LCD and Circuit board. The local hot tub guy came out and said it was an electrical problem outside the hot tub but I don't see how that can be. Going to be below freezing here tonight so I had to drain the hot tub....ugh! Any ideas?
    San Antonio, TX 12.6k gallon gunite free form pool and spa, plaster, pentair 4 speed intelliflo, Rainbow 320 chlorinator,
    Pentair 60 sq ft D.E. filter, Pentair 400k btu natural gas heater, Pentair Kreepy Krauley w/ 3/4hp booster pump,
    multiwave pool and spa remote, PB - Pool Concepts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jacuzzi J380 Gfci Breaker tripping

Welcome to TFP tph!

Sorry no one has answered you yet and I'm no much help either. We have a member or two good with electrical issues, and hopefully one will be along to help out. I'll check back and see. Enjoy the forums.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

1.25 amps doesn't seem big enough to be a primary transformer fuse, though if the transformer is 240 volt primary it could be.

I can't find the manual that has that fuse on it. If you could post a link to it I'd be glad to take a look at it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks a lot for the help Bama!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

Here you go. Page 53
    http://allseasonsspa.com/uploads/Cus...ProTec_LCD.pdf

However in parts catalogs it will say "FUSE: 1.25A (LCD CIRCUIT BOARD)"
    http://www.fortywinksonline.com/loca...istrevised.pdf
    top of page 24

So something is going to ground on the other side of this fuse but I'm not sure what it is......and I've called the hot tub repair guy again but the first time he came out he didn't get as far as I did so not a whole lot of confidence there.

I realize this is a tough one. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Terry

P.S. It is 240 volt.
    San Antonio, TX 12.6k gallon gunite free form pool and spa, plaster, pentair 4 speed intelliflo, Rainbow 320 chlorinator,
    Pentair 60 sq ft D.E. filter, Pentair 400k btu natural gas heater, Pentair Kreepy Krauley w/ 3/4hp booster pump,

6. Back To Top    #6

What happens if you pull the 4 amp fuses under J4 and leave the 1.25 amp fuse in place?

I would believe the schematic about the purpose of the fuse.

It sounds like the transformer has a shorted winding that's tripping the GFCI.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

It trips the GFCI breaker. I've tried several fuse combinations and the only scenario where it doesn't trip is if the 1.25A fuse is removed.

I wondered if it was a bad transformer too. Thanks, I'll suggest that to the repair man!

8. Back To Top    #8

Try this, unplug J3 and see if it trips the breaker. If it doesn't, that narrows it down to the transformer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Finally got a chance to try this....sure enough I unplug J3 and the breaker doesn't trip!! I'll be replacing the transformer ASAP. Bama, you are the man!... Thanks a ton for the help!

Terry

10. Back To Top    #10

Glad I could point you in the right direction.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator