New pool woes...

Sorry mates, but a quick question, why all the hate on Bunnings? In the US our equivalent Lowe's and Home Depot are my favorite stores. I was working in Riverstone, NSW earlier this year and during our lunch outing, I made my hosts take me for a walkaround through Bunnings. If it's the loss of the small family hardware store I understand though. I worked at one growing up and it was a great community place. They still exist here but generally not near larger metropolitan areas.

BTW - Are you able to get a concentrated form of bleach there or is it in the 6% range? Obviously the higher % means less volume of product to transport.

Best of luck getting your testing kits and managing your pools! The resources here are fantastic.

Yeah pretty much the demise of local stores creates a negativity around them (I'm a native Brit, and a former US green card holder... I love Home Depot (US) and B&Q (UK) )

The liquid chlorine at Bunning's is 12.5%. "Bleach", as in sold for domestic loo cleaning however, is not as cheap here as it is in the US.

ok guys, a quick update:
The pool cleared up nicely and after repeated cleaning of the filter all was good. I was slack for a week (EDIT** make that two!) after some minor surgery (snip snip :) ) and a lack of a test kit.

The test kit (K-2006) showed up yesterday and I tested it today.
FC 0
pH 7.6
TA 88
CH 780!!
And no reading for CYA

So I am pretty sure the SWG isn't working or is at a reduced capacity....

Where to now? I can get to town tomorrow to pick up everything I need.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Have you read the extended test instructions sticky in the testing forum? Make sure the CH is correct. If so, you really should relieve a good portion of your water yup get it down.

Have you used cal-hypo chlorine?

After that you need to get some CYA in the water to protect the FC from the sun. The SWG will not be able to keep up with no CYA in the water.

Ok, so ran tests again.
FC 3.6
Combined 0.6 (I added chlorine)
Ran CH twice. Once with the fading end point. Normal 825. FE method was 750
Ph and TA was the same
CYA was absent.

So I need to drain water. Roughly how much do you think I should get rid of?
Once drained and water added, how much CYA to add?

Also, how do I clean the SWG?

What is the CH of your fill water?

If the water is clean, you will want to add about 50ppm of CYA, check it in a week and then raise to 70-80ppm for the SWG.

Is there visible scale in the cell?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So if your replaced all the water, you would be at 200, or 50% would put you at 500ppm. I would shoot fit replacing about 75% of the water to get the CH in range. But if your ground water is high, you may only want to do a third at a time. If you do that, do it 3 times.

Get some chlorine in there soon! Also, start getting some cya in to protect the chlorine (I would shoot for 30 ppm cya to start).

You will need to keep an eye on your ph, since it will tend to go up fairly fast with the TA as high as it is. Lowering ph when it goes up to 7.6-7.8 will slowly lower TA as well.

Plugged the info into the PoolMath calculator, and added 880ml of 12.5% chlorine (goal of 3), and 1.5Kg of stabilizer (goal of 40).
How long should I wait till I next check the levels? Will run the filter all day as the water is a bit brownish from the creek, it's looking clearer already!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.