Using SWG at high power to close pool at high FC

Jul 18, 2013
Doyle, TN
I am getting ready to close my pool for the first time. I was planning to Slam the pool using bleach as described at this site. I have been running my pump and SWG at level 3 for about 8 to 10 hours a day. Using the drops test I found FC = 16.5. Apparantly I should have reduced my running time and/or SWG level when the winter months got here. Rather than adding bleach to slam, I was wondering if I could just max out my SWG for a couple of days and see if I get near the FC = 25 that I need to close for the winter.

Other results from my test today:
CYA = 65
TA = 100
pH = 8.0
water temp = 50F

Other questions:
When checking TA using the TF-100, do you stop adding drops when the solution changes from green to a pink hue, or do you keep adding to try to get to red?

Thanks

You could do that, but that is just reducing the life expectancy of your SWG cell. Easier and faster to just add some bleach.

Always run the tests until the last drop results in no additional color change and do not count that last drop.

Thanks for your reply. I will use bleach to slam the pool for closing.
Also, I went back and read through the detailed instructions for the TF-100 tests posted on this site. It made more sense after actually performing the tests several times.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.