Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using SWG at high power to close pool at high FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Using SWG at high power to close pool at high FC

I am getting ready to close my pool for the first time. I was planning to Slam the pool using bleach as described at this site. I have been running my pump and SWG at level 3 for about 8 to 10 hours a day. Using the drops test I found FC = 16.5. Apparantly I should have reduced my running time and/or SWG level when the winter months got here. Rather than adding bleach to slam, I was wondering if I could just max out my SWG for a couple of days and see if I get near the FC = 25 that I need to close for the winter.

Other results from my test today:
    CYA = 65
    TA = 100
    pH = 8.0
    water temp = 50F

Other questions:
    When checking TA using the TF-100, do you stop adding drops when the solution changes from green to a pink hue, or do you keep adding to try to get to red?

Thanks
    12.5K gallons, AG - 15x30 oval, 2 hp 2 speed Pump, 22" Sand Filter, 25 sq ft Cartridge filter, AstralPool VX7S Salt Chlorinator, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using SWG at high power to close pool at high FC

You could do that, but that is just reducing the life expectancy of your SWG cell. Easier and faster to just add some bleach.

Always run the tests until the last drop results in no additional color change and do not count that last drop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Using SWG at high power to close pool at high FC

Thanks for your reply. I will use bleach to slam the pool for closing.
    Also, I went back and read through the detailed instructions for the TF-100 tests posted on this site. It made more sense after actually performing the tests several times.
    12.5K gallons, AG - 15x30 oval, 2 hp 2 speed Pump, 22" Sand Filter, 25 sq ft Cartridge filter, AstralPool VX7S Salt Chlorinator, TF-100