Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running bond border on paver patio or no?

1. Back To Top    #1

Running bond border on paver patio or no?

I feel like it was easier to make the decision to have kids, than it is to decide exactly how to design our pool patio. Our patio is going to be almost 1300 square feet, or Rinox Palazzo pavers, with 9" and 12" squares mixed in. But I cannot for the life of me decide on a running bond "border" around the patio. Should I not, and just carry the pattern right out to the edge, or have a border around the whole patio to frame it all in?

The supply house said to use some of the pavers that come in the Palazzo pallets, but then that changes the install pattern a bit, as you need to account for using those pavers elsewhere.

Any thoughts, pictures, etc would certainly be appreciated!

Thanks.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running bond border on paver patio or no?

I think a border looks nice....but it's your house! I like that it means you don't have cut edges right on the edge of the patio (if it's not rectangular).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

And it won't be. It's a flowing patio...round and curvy. I guess they also call it a soldier course or something...
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I am a fan having a soldier course of pavers on the outside edge of patios and walkways. It's a very personal decision but I like it because of the finished appearance it creates. I don't have it on our front walkway and we do have it on our basketball court and attached patio. They both look nice but the patio looks more formal/finished...the front walkway more easy breezy.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Funny. I decided on just that, a soldier course using the 6x9" paver from the paver combo.