Too much HP?

Yes, you can downsize the impeller. You can buy one online or through your PB. Your SWG should not be an issue. I have a 1/2 HP two speed pump and my SWG works fine on low speed. The heat pump is a different issue and may or may not work on low speed. It depends on the requirements of the heat pump.

However, a 3/4 HP impeller will probably give you 93 GPM on high and 46 GPM on low which should be fine for your heater.

Thanks for all the great info. One last question; What about the 1HP Tri-star 2 speed pump. In case the PB doesn't want to change out the impellar. What would the flow on that be. For that work for my application?

Thanks very much for all the help.
Daren

That would have a flow rate of about 99 GPM on high and 49 GPM on low. So pretty close to the filter limit although there is some margin built into those numbers so the filter is probably ok.

But these flow rates I am calculating are based upon the information that you gave me, especially the 18 PSI filter pressure which seems a little low for that filter. You mentioned that you had two return lines. Are those separate from the equipment pad to the pool? How many eyeballs do you have entering the pool and what are their size?

The pool is closed for winter. There are two return eyeballs that I pretty sure are 2". I know that the lines are. The return lines are on equipment pad, meaning a 2" lines come off the SWCG and enters the ground, this lines then is split into 2 separate lines which go to the returns.

Daren

The pipes may be 2" but the eyeballs are usually 1" or smaller. This is the orifice diameter that is inside the pool.

If it is a 1.5" hole, then it is likely you do not have any eyeballs. Can you redirect the flow out of the returns (i.e. point the eyeball in a specific direction) or is it simply a hole in the pool wall where water comes out?

This is what an eyeball looks like:

hayward_pool_return_jet_1_inch_eyeball_fitting_sp1419e_2.jpg
stock-footage-pal-pool-return.jpg

This is what a pool return without an eyeball looks like:

Pool-Return.jpg

That explains the lower than expect filter pressure. Is the new pump really loud (i.e. has a lot of water noise)?

You might want to add eyeballs to the returns. This will allow you to direct the return flow for better circulation. It will also reduce the flow rate some through the filter and reduce water noise.

Electrican never showed up and I was concerned of freezing lines so I temporary install pumps to keep water moving. My quick fix was to wire the pump for one speed. My first connection resulted in high speed and psi was 28 and loud. I quickly then wired for low speed and got about 5 psi and nice and quiet.

The morning that they were to close the pool I did a quick switch to high cause I knew it would be my last chance. I need this at 5am it was dark and I couldn't read the psi very well. I thought I set the needle of the gauge on the psi and when I returned home from work (pool was close) the needle was at 18. I also thought that what I seen but I guess maybe the gauge could of got moved when they close pool. Also the water was a little loud

The builder should be here next week for final payment. He is good and I believe he will do what I ask. What should I ask?

Replace pump with 1hp tri-star, or replace impeller with 3/4 hp impeller?

I will put eyeballs in on opening, so what do your calculations show I need.

Again thanks for all the great help
Daren

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The installer might be more inclined to replace just the impeller because it is easier for him and probably cheaper too. So you can use that as a negotiating tactic. With a 3/4 HP impeller, 1" eyeballs are probably good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.