Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

sand in pool

hi, i have sand on the bottom of my pool. I thought it might be due to backwashing, it's not. I vacuumed the sand with a wet vac, the sand has slowly returned and slowly buliding up. I brush away the sand, it moves once settled. It's a hayward sand filter s244t.
    I am running it with a 1hp hayward super ii pump.
    I'm considering not calling a pool tech and just replacing it with a new one.
    pool tech to tell me whats wrong with it 80 dollars
    pool tech to return second time 80 dollars
    pool tech to install new laterals with centre pipe 100 dollars
    pool tech will need to change sand if changing lats 200 dollars

new filter (same one), delivered 450 dollars
    change the sand over myself
    total 650

not sure what to do, if problem returns would be very disappointed.
    i've considered changing the laterals and sand myself, would be looking at close to 300 tops for this.
    please advise, just don't want to waste the little money i do have and not fix this problem.

another option is to just leave it the way it is for as long as possible.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: sand in pool

Hi, welcome to TFP! To make sure it is sand and lot dead algae, turn on the pump, hold a clean, white sock over the return. If it is sand you will collect some in the sock. Once you are sure it is sand and not dead algae, you could save a lot of time and money fixing the problem yourself. Here are a few items on the filter to check. Check that the spider gasket in the multi- port valve is in good condition and seated well. Make sure the center pipe is well seated, no chips or cracks. Check the laterals for cracks. Be very careful checking the center pipe and laterals, they can be easily broken.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Once you hold or tie the sock over the return, as Zea said, if it's sand, I definitely recommend repairing it yourself.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

thankyou for all the suggestions, much appreciated.