Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover pump during winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover pump during winter

I have an above ground pool and want to buy a winter cover pump to pump out the water from on top of the cover. I live in New Jersey and it gets cold, sometimes freezing. I was wondering if I can leave an automatic pump sitting in the water all winter long or if the freezing temps would break it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover pump during winter

Welcome to TFP!

I'm not sure, but it stands to reason if part of the pump fills with water, there is a chance for it to freeze and crack the pump.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3

NW Ohio

Yeah I would not just leave it sit in there. It will ruin the pump if it freezes

I just wait for a nice day when the water is not frozen toss in the pump and start the siphon. Then when done pull the pump.
    18x37 Vinyl Grecian (24k gals) 8' Inter fab(la mesa) Diving board w/ waterfall & Led, Pentair Laminars & Intellibrite 5g

Star Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter, IntelliPro 3HP Variable Spd Pump, Max E Therm 400k BTU,
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 & actuators,...Now looking to BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, thanks for the answers. That is pretty much what I thought I was just hoping there would be an easier way.

Thanks again.