Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG Cell

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG Cell

A few weeks ago I had my SWG board replaced. It was very expensive. Well now, I believe my salt cell is no longer working and probably needs replaced. I have a t-15 but my pool is only 13,000 gallons. Should I just order the salt cell online? It is double the price from the pool store. Should I purchase another T-15 or a T-9? Is it easy enough to replace by myself?

Thanks!
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG Cell

Are you sure it isn't just off due to low temp?
    What temperature is your water?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If Bama has not hit on something and the cell is indeed bad (have you had it tested at a pool store?) ....

We recommend sizing the cell 1.5-3 times larger than your pool. The T-9 would work although the T-15 should last longer. So the larger cell might make sense if the cost is not much different.

BTW, what was wrong with the board? You might just have needed to replace the current limiter with is < $5 in parts and some soldering.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The salt level is reading 500 and I know it is much higher than that. The pool temp right now is 68. We usually heat it up a couple times throughout the winter to swim.
    East TN
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

When I saw the posts about the delimiter it made me sick! I would hate to think that was the problem. The diagnostics were showing 0 V and 0 A the pool guy contacted Hayward and they said I needed a new board. First I think he tried to change the fuses. Now, I do get a reading for volts and amps in the diagnostic menu.
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

How old is the cell?
    When was the last time you cleaned the cell?
    Have you had an independent salt test done?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

The cell is going on 5 years old and we run it year round. It was cleaned within the last month. I have a salt test kit and the salt level was 3700.

Thanks for the help!
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Well it does sound like the cell is failing. 5 years, running it year round, is a pretty good life for that cell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Is it easy enough for me to order a replacement online and install it myself? Do I just disconnect the old one and install the new one?

Thanks!
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Very easy to do. Loosen the 2 union fitting on the cell (might need a strap wrench if they are too tight), and unplug the cell from the controller. Then the opposite to put the new one in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Great! Thanks! I think I can do that.
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Where online should I order one for the best price? I need a 25 ft cord.

Thanks!
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater