Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing depth question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing depth question

Currently working on an Owner/Builder pool in Maryland. Plumbing it out right now.

How deep do I really need to run the plumbing back to the pad? I was currently just going to go about 8-12", enough room for pavers + base. Is that acceptable?

Frost line is 30+" here, and I can't really imagine trenching 3 feet down. I will be blowing out all pipes in winter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing depth question

If you have to meet code there and pass inspections, you'll most likely have to bury them below frost line. Your local AHJ will be the best people to ask.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Take the extra time and go below the frost line. You'll be glad you did. I did a paver side walk. It was small and gets little use. I went down 2 ft and after one year it had settled and was very uneven. As far as the plumbing...They make codes for a reason. And the reason is people like me who tried and cut corners and am paying for it now. Imagine something comes up and you can't get to blowing out the pipes. You'll spend more time repairing everything.
    1) The size of your pool in gallons 4440.
    2) The type filter you have is an Intex 2500 gph and it has a re-useable fabric filter
    3) If your pool is an AG (above ground)
    4) Intex 15 by 48 metal frame.
    5) If you know, tell us the size pump 2500gph and the size (flow rate) of your filter.
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania.

4. Back To Top    #4

Only inspections required here are for electrical and for final use (once everything has been completed).

5. Back To Top    #5

Where do I even find the code regarding this? The only thing I have found from my local office with regards to pool codes are fencing and bonding requirements. That's about all.

6. Back To Top    #6

If they don't do a plumbing inspection, you can do what you want, but as Raid said you should go below the frost line. That ensures that if when you blow the lines out and you don't quite get it completely dry, it won't freeze and burst.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Proper winterizing can ensure zero problems, I am way north of you and its very rare for lines to be buried over 8", our frost goes as deep as 50"

8. Back To Top    #8

<Where do I even find the code regarding this? The only thing I have found from my local office with regards to pool codes are fencing and bonding><<requirements. That's about all.>

Plumbing code is where will probably need to look. Or you can go to the building permit office and get info about it.
    Codes vary from town to town. Depending on your town you may not have to have one. Where I live at, there isn't a plumbing inspection required as long as you don't tap into the city water supply or sewer.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

Im in MD, my pipes are for the most part 30" below, however my pad is below the level of the pool so where the pipes come out under a retaining wall they are at that point below about 6inches for about 2-3 feet in length.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG