Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool cover ?

1. Back To Top    #1

pool cover ?

Ok we have our pool cover on with a pillow in the middle. The wind seems to blow here a lot and the cover is lifting. I drained the pool down below the lowest outlet. Which means it's about 1 and a half foot down from top. I'm wondering if I take a few gallon milk jugs and fill with water, tie through grommets on cover and set on ground if that might hold it! We leave in Jan. and gone till April so a little worried we might come home and find no cover and the pool walls pulled in! I worry that to much water or snow build up on cover while we are gone might also cause damage. I know I worry to much or so my hubby says! I had thought about just not covering since we will be gone. Any tips or such on anything else I might do to keep all safe while we are gone. Missouri winters can be very cold and snowy.
    Again we just bought this house so is our first year closing the pool. Just hope we get to swim in it next summer! Pool info below.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brenda
    Intex 22ft Ultra Frame pool
    Sand Filter Pump Model SF20110
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Chlorinator with GFCI | 54601EG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool cover ?

That may not be a bad idea, and it certainly won't hurt. I hang half filled jugs on my cover with bungee cords.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you tried cover clips ? They clip on to the top rail. Instead of the milk jugs you could use tent stakes in the ground then using bungee cord or tarp straps,rope to hold cover down.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave & Jeff thanks for the help. Well needless to say I didn't have jugs or stakes. Have family saving the jugs tho. Oh and that wind I was talking about is blowing like crazy and yes the cover is whipping up. I went and got 5-6 big clamps and put around the top rail. Hope that helps. Oh and the pillow we put in and tied down tight has broke free and is over to one side! I'm kinda wishing I had saved the cover money and just dealt with the clean up next spring!
    Brenda
    Intex 22ft Ultra Frame pool
    Sand Filter Pump Model SF20110
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Chlorinator with GFCI | 54601EG

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't worry about the pillow. I tried using them the first year and from then on, I don't bother with them.

As you get the jugs, just hang them opposite of each other and work your way around.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit