Adding CYA via the floater

Hi All,

I had to partially drain my water (high CH and salt levels) and I wanted to make up for the lost CYA. Can I add the CYA using a floater? I know the suggested method is to add it via the skimmer but then I thought maybe this way I do not need to run the pump for 12 hours. Please let me know. Thanks again for all the help. Also it would be great if you could include the reason the answer is yes or no.

Chris.

If you mean in a sock or stocking in the floater, then yes you could do that but it will dissolve rather slowly because there won't be a lot of water flow. If you put it loose in the floater, some may spill out and get on the floor of your pool so is best to avoid (especially for colored pool surfaces or vinyl pools).

Oh Perfect. Yes I had the flow rate of the floater set to very low. However, I am going to move it all into a sock now and put it back into the floater. Can I then just leave it in there for a long time without running the pump the whole time? I know my CYA is ok (50-55). Hence, I do not need to go to higher levels right away. Elec. rates are insane in Cali and I am going to be looking at 32 cents per KWh at the end of the month so I prefer to just use the most efficient methods.

Chris

Leaving it in a sock in the skimmer or in front of a return when the pump is running would be the most efficient way. Give it a squeeze often, and it will dissolve and distribute pretty quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.