Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding CYA via the floater

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding CYA via the floater

Hi All,

I had to partially drain my water (high CH and salt levels) and I wanted to make up for the lost CYA. Can I add the CYA using a floater? I know the suggested method is to add it via the skimmer but then I thought maybe this way I do not need to run the pump for 12 hours. Please let me know. Thanks again for all the help. Also it would be great if you could include the reason the answer is yes or no.

Chris.
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Sand Filter Pentair Titan II
    Pentair Whisperflo single speed pump WFE 4 (1 HP)
    Built in 2005
    SWG equiped, Zodiac LM2-24
    CH 340, PH 7.8, FC 8.5, TA 90, CYA 80, SALT 4000, CC 0

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding CYA via the floater

If you mean in a sock or stocking in the floater, then yes you could do that but it will dissolve rather slowly because there won't be a lot of water flow. If you put it loose in the floater, some may spill out and get on the floor of your pool so is best to avoid (especially for colored pool surfaces or vinyl pools).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh Perfect. Yes I had the flow rate of the floater set to very low. However, I am going to move it all into a sock now and put it back into the floater. Can I then just leave it in there for a long time without running the pump the whole time? I know my CYA is ok (50-55). Hence, I do not need to go to higher levels right away. Elec. rates are insane in Cali and I am going to be looking at 32 cents per KWh at the end of the month so I prefer to just use the most efficient methods.

Chris
    12700 gallons
    IG pool and spa
    plaster
    Sand Filter Pentair Titan II
    Pentair Whisperflo single speed pump WFE 4 (1 HP)
    Built in 2005
    SWG equiped, Zodiac LM2-24
    CH 340, PH 7.8, FC 8.5, TA 90, CYA 80, SALT 4000, CC 0

4. Back To Top    #4

Leaving it in a sock in the skimmer or in front of a return when the pump is running would be the most efficient way. Give it a squeeze often, and it will dissolve and distribute pretty quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem