Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about keeping Pool open

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about keeping Pool open

I'm having our pool closed, but they can't do it for 7 days. The temperature will drop to 25 degrees one night this upcoming week here in Indiana. It is a salt water pool. Can I just run the pump during the cold spell or will the pipes freeze?
    36X18 Inground Pool, SWG, Hayward Pump, Hayward gas heater, Undertrack Auto Cover, Interfab basketball system, TF-100 Test kit, Polaris 9300 Robot Cleaner, Pool Completed July 29 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about keeping Pool open

Just run the pump when the temp is below freezing. Moving water in the pipes will not freeze in a few hours.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Just run the pump when the temp is below freezing. Moving water in the pipes will not freeze in a few hours.
    Ok thanks
    36X18 Inground Pool, SWG, Hayward Pump, Hayward gas heater, Undertrack Auto Cover, Interfab basketball system, TF-100 Test kit, Polaris 9300 Robot Cleaner, Pool Completed July 29 2010

4. Back To Top    #4

How long does it take for water to freeze and damage pipes? I'm in the same boat, pool not closed yet, and it's supposed to get down to 26/28 two nights in a row (but daytime temps coming up to mid 40s).
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

5. Back To Top    #5

If the pump is running, the pipes should never freeze at those kinds of temperatures.

Someone put a 2" pipe of water in their freezer and at that very low temperature it took a long time to freeze ... but I can not remember the details.

Odds are they would not freeze solid overnight even without the pump running unless you got much colder than the 20s.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better.
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

7. Back To Top    #7

I've got my pool heater running today to "warm" up the water for several hours before the freezing temps hit tonight. Pool temp is 52 degrees. I'll run the pool pump for several days until the night temps are above freezing. Temps are supposed to be back in the 50's and 60's in several days.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pool mum
    How long does it take for water to freeze and damage pipes? I'm in the same boat, pool not closed yet, and it's supposed to get down to 26/28 two nights in a row (but daytime temps coming up to mid 40s).
    Generally, I have found that it takes well over 8 hours for water to freeze solid in a 2" pipe even without the pump running. We regularly get down 25F every winter but usually it is less than 8 hours and I don't bother with freeze protection or running the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I've found the plastic filter cylinder going to my sweeper will freeze and bust pretty easily.
    I run mine at night to keep that from happening.
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

I forgot to mention that freeze time is proportional to the diameter of the pipe/hose so a smaller pipe/hose will freeze faster than a larger one. 1 1/2" pipe will freeze about 25% faster than a 2" pipe. But a 1/2" hose might freeze close to 4x faster than a 2" pipe. So you have to take extra precautions with the smaller stuff. I would probably drain it during the freeze periods rather than rely on running the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater