Using polyquat during the Florida winter...

Jul 26, 2013
Greetings!

I have been adding 3 ounces of polyquat per week to my 13,500 gallon pool on the basis of what I have read in this very informative website. Nobody swims here from mid-October through May (Clearwater/Tarpon Springs area), with the pool unheated and the water temperature generally about the same as the Gulf, which is about 70 right now (mid-November).

My questions:

1. Shall I continue to add 3 oz. of polyquat per week all winter?

2. Is there an issue of polyquat buildup? Taylor has a test for this but the reagent is over a hundred bucks a bottle...

bow.gif
Thanks, all y'all!!

Maintaining free chlorine in range for your CYA is the best way to keep your water sparkling and safe. There is no reason to use polyquat if you keep your FC above minimum for your CYA. Chlorine alone will do the job just fine.

If for some reason you are not able to maintain the right FC level, polyquat can be used as "insurance". Most here don't use polyquat except when closing the pool for winter (which you won't do since your winter is so mild).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.