Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using polyquat during the Florida winter...

1. Back To Top    #1

Using polyquat during the Florida winter...

I have been adding 3 ounces of polyquat per week to my 13,500 gallon pool on the basis of what I have read in this very informative website. Nobody swims here from mid-October through May (Clearwater/Tarpon Springs area), with the pool unheated and the water temperature generally about the same as the Gulf, which is about 70 right now (mid-November).

My questions:

1. Shall I continue to add 3 oz. of polyquat per week all winter?

2. Is there an issue of polyquat buildup? Taylor has a test for this but the reagent is over a hundred bucks a bottle...

Thanks, all y'all!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using polyquat during the Florida winter...

Maintaining free chlorine in range for your CYA is the best way to keep your water sparkling and safe. There is no reason to use polyquat if you keep your FC above minimum for your CYA. Chlorine alone will do the job just fine.

If for some reason you are not able to maintain the right FC level, polyquat can be used as "insurance". Most here don't use polyquat except when closing the pool for winter (which you won't do since your winter is so mild).
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex