putting cover on AG pool with FC level too high

KimR

May 6, 2013
Paintsville, KY
I'm closing my AG pool for winter, have vacuumed and shocked with 78% cal-hypo (2 bags- I know I used too much since my CC was .5 or less) and then vacuumed again. My levels were as follows before adding the Cal-hypo:
  • FC-6
  • Ph-7.4
  • Alk-90
  • Cya-45
Now my FC is 18 and the leaves are blowing like crazy, so I need to put my cover on ASAP so I don't have to clean it all over again. What is the lowest FC level that I can put my solid winter cover on? Please tell me I can put it on now without damaging the cover!!!!

I thought that maybe my FC would deteriorate the cover, I'm so glad I don't have to wait for Chlorine to drop back to normal!. I usually don't wait this late to close my pool. So in the morning I'll cover it. I was wondering, should I leave my pump connected for a while with the cover on so I can circulate some 60% algaecide, until the temperature drops to near freezing or just go ahead and drain to lowest hose opening? The water temp. is about 55 degrees. I thought that high chlorine levels will make the algaecide ineffective. What other chemicals should I add, if any, before draining and closing? Thank you all for your help!

If you are going to add an algaecide (it is optional and we only recommend polyquat60), then let the FC level drop down a ways before adding it (we recommend down to at least 1/2 of SLAM level). Polyquat is broken down by high levels of chlorine. Again, polyquat is optional.

Mines closed. Brought it up to SLAM level with bleach when water temp was 52. Didn't add anything else. Pump and filter are in basement.
You would be fine to disconnect pump and filter now. With the pool covered and low water temp your FC levels will hold. Open the pool before the water temp gets to 60 and you should have clear water.
The polyquat is optional.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.