Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: putting cover on AG pool with FC level too high

1. Back To Top    #1

putting cover on AG pool with FC level too high

I'm closing my AG pool for winter, have vacuumed and shocked with 78% cal-hypo (2 bags- I know I used too much since my CC was .5 or less) and then vacuumed again. My levels were as follows before adding the Cal-hypo:
    • FC-6
    • Ph-7.4
    • Alk-90
    • Cya-45
    Now my FC is 18 and the leaves are blowing like crazy, so I need to put my cover on ASAP so I don't have to clean it all over again. What is the lowest FC level that I can put my solid winter cover on? Please tell me I can put it on now without damaging the cover!!!!
    Intex 24' Round Vinyl AGP(13,500 Gallons), Intex Model 633T Filter Pump with Type B cartridge filter. Taylor K2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

putting cover on AG pool with FC level too high

Sure put your cover on. Your fine.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: putting cover on AG pool with FC level too high

I agree. When I close and put on my fine mesh cover, my FC is usually at or close to my SLAM (shock) level.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

You want it at/near SLAM level so the FC lasts until you open in the spring.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

I thought that maybe my FC would deteriorate the cover, I'm so glad I don't have to wait for Chlorine to drop back to normal!. I usually don't wait this late to close my pool. So in the morning I'll cover it. I was wondering, should I leave my pump connected for a while with the cover on so I can circulate some 60% algaecide, until the temperature drops to near freezing or just go ahead and drain to lowest hose opening? The water temp. is about 55 degrees. I thought that high chlorine levels will make the algaecide ineffective. What other chemicals should I add, if any, before draining and closing? Thank you all for your help!
    Intex 24' Round Vinyl AGP(13,500 Gallons), Intex Model 633T Filter Pump with Type B cartridge filter. Taylor K2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are going to add an algaecide (it is optional and we only recommend polyquat60), then let the FC level drop down a ways before adding it (we recommend down to at least 1/2 of SLAM level). Polyquat is broken down by high levels of chlorine. Again, polyquat is optional.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Mines closed. Brought it up to SLAM level with bleach when water temp was 52. Didn't add anything else. Pump and filter are in basement.
    You would be fine to disconnect pump and filter now. With the pool covered and low water temp your FC levels will hold. Open the pool before the water temp gets to 60 and you should have clear water.
    The polyquat is optional.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys!! I knew I could count on you