Repair 20 year pump system or install completely new system?

Nov 9, 2013
Should I repair a 20 year old bronze Anthony Centrifugal pump system (replacing the motor, impeller, bronze seal plate and all seals/gaskets) or is it time to completely replace the pump system with newer technology?

My motor is a 2 1/2 HP AO Smith and it cost $350 online, plus if I replace all of the internal parts then that's another $450. So I'm looking at $800 to add the new motor with all new parts. I stopped in Leslie's pool supply today and the guy estimated about $1,000 to install a new pump system but it only uses a 1 1/2 HP motor. Will that be enough power for an Anthony Apollo 52 SQ. FT DE filter to push enough water........or does that mean I'll need to change out the DE filter system too?

I 'd like to hear what other pool owners that switched out their systems have to say. Was it was worth the additional costs to change out the entire system?

Re: Repair 20 year pump system or install completely new sys

Welcome to tfp, tapaaic :wave:

Tell us a little about your pool. How big is it, and what it has for water features (fountains, waterfalls, spa jets, etc.)?

It's a 20 year old Anthony pool system that holds 19,400 gallons and it does have a built-in spa that 8 x 6 feet. The pool came with a 2 1/2 HP motor originally, but I'd replaced the motor a few years back and the store told me a 2 HP was plenty powerful. However, it hasn't pushed the water through as strong as the original motor, so when this one played out I went ahead and purchased the 2 1/2 HP again. I haven't installed it yet, so I still have time to return the motor if replacing the entire pump system with newer technology makes more sense.

...also with the 2 HP motor, when I switched to run just the Spa, the water returning through the Spa jets wasn't very strong either.

tapaaic said:
The pool came with a 2 1/2 HP motor originally, but I'd replaced the motor a few years back and the store told me a 2 HP was plenty powerful.
Did you/they change the impeller as well. If the new motor had lower Total hp then the old motor, you would typically also need to change the impellor to a lower flow size. If you/they did change the impeller, then your flow would be lower even if you put a higher total hp motor on the pump. The key here is what is was the total hp, which is listed hp times the service factor...hp X sf=total hp (or SFHP).

If you do decide to replace just the motor, then we would highly recommend a 2-speed pump, but you would need to know the model of your pump and what impeller it has on it.

As to whether you should just replace the pump with a new one, that is a harder call and depends on what shape your pump is in and if you can still get parts for it.

I still have my old Anthony bronze pump and filter system. I completely do all my repairs myself, so that might be relevant in my decision to keep everything like it is. My system is a 1-1/2 HP for a 13,000 gal in ground pool. My impeller is original and I really thought these things never wear out. The open face impeller shows no wear and the edges are sharp enough to cut your fingers. I have an aftermarket hard rubber impeller ready to install if I ever need it ($30 on E-Bay). 1-1/2 HP keyed shaft pumps are available occasionally on sale on-line. I recently paid $130 delivered for a switchless split capacitor pump that fit just fine. That was probably a one-shot deal (new old stock). Motors seem to last 6-9 years. Since I have an identical system for my spa, I always keep one new or rebuilt motor ready to go for when I lose one.

One nice thing about these systems is that if you have a pump seal leak, the water can never get in the motor since the motor sits back a few inches and drives the pump by an external coupler.

With all that said, my personal opinion is that I would keep the system, but for the money you got quoted for repairs, it is probably not worth it. Anytime a pool guy has come by the house, he has suggested I get rid of that old junk. For me, it works fine and I can fix it. For others, it might pay to haul all that bronze to the recycler. That stuff should be worth a pretty penny in scrap metal. :).

Thanks to both of you for your input. It's interesting you'd mentioned selling the old copper/bronze equipment as scrap, as it was also suggested by someone else in the pool business due to the age of the rest of the equipment.

Perhaps it's time to update my old stuff, plus might help the value of my house if I sell it later. Not sure if having new pool pump/filter/heater will add much value or not.....just hard to part with $5,300 to replace everything

Sorry for the double post..... didn't realize I'd already sent it..... the price did go up however as the pool guy was here writing up the quote as I posted it

Mod edit: No problem...I deleted the first one that had "just hard to part with $4,000 to replace everything" instead of the 5300 in the second one. moderator linen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.