1. Back To Top    #1

FC HIGH Need to lower SWG??

ph 7.6
    FC 18
    CC 3
    TA 70
    CH 240
    CYA 50

thinking i need to lower SWG but it is on 60% and i can't seem to get it to go down by pressing the lower button, it will flash if i hold it in and go to 40 but right back to 60 a minute later

do i need to something else?
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC HIGH Need to lower SWG??

Which SWG do you have?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

intelichlor
    20x49 double roman 3.5' to 8.5 deep', 44,000 gal. SWG, TF-100 test kit with speed stir, concrete walls with vinyl liner, cartridge filter on an IG pool with a 1hp main pump and 1.5hp booster pump. Pool built April 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure about the SWG issue, but if that CC is correct, you need to SLAM the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In my ph tester the yellow side was orange which I consider off scale. Then thee Cc test showed up 3. I am closing pool within next week or so. Do I still need to SLAM it?

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you can SLAM now and then you may not have to do it later. Or, you can close in a week and SLAM when you open.

7. Back To Top    #7

That test is not accurate enough to say what the FC and CC's are. I'm taking it as those were just guesses on your part.

We can't say for sure if you need to SLAM or not. Accurate test results is what we need to know. Just guessing, I would leave the chlorine high for now and close it when it is cold enough.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

The tests I did with test kit. I wasn't guessing. I am going to test again tomorrow.

9. Back To Top    #9

So you have a kit with the FAS-DPD? That was not clear in your posts.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you have automation?

11. Back To Top    #11

FAS-DPD??

My kit came from a link on this forum. A TFP-100 I think is the number.

Yes I have a pentair automation system.

12. Back To Top    #12

You change the Intellichlor percentage via the automation, not the cell panel.

If you have used non-chlorine shock, that could account for the cc level.

13. Back To Top    #13

The TF-100 has 2 different tests for chlorine. One is the OTO test which uses drops to turn the water different shades of yellow to determine chlorine level. The other is the FAS-DPD test where you use a powder to turn the water pink, and then you count drops to determine the chlorine level. Which did you use to test FC? Which for CC?
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

14. Back To Top    #14

I always do all test in the kit and record them. The one with the ph test,OTO, kit usually shows up light yellow and I match it to the appropriate number, the other is with the powder and that one I consider more accurate as it doesn't make me guess the color, that is where I got the FC of 18 and CC of 3.

Is this the correct way?

15. Back To Top    #15

I haven't added any shock.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by gobblerhuntr
    I always do all test in the kit and record them. The one with the ph test,OTO, kit usually shows up light yellow and I match it to the appropriate number, the other is with the powder and that one I consider more accurate as it doesn't make me guess the color, that is where I got the FC of 18 and CC of 3.

Is this the correct way?
    Yes. The 3 ppm of CC is telling you need to continue/do the SLAM process either now or in the spring.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok think I will back the chlorination down to 20% and close pool in a week or so then SLAM it in the spring. Sound good?

18. Back To Top    #18

3 ppm CC seems somewhat high unless there is a reason. If the pool has had high use, then that could explain the high CC level. If the chlorine went to zero, then it's possible that bacteria converted some CYA to ammonia. However, that's pretty rare.

If either of these things didn't happen, then I would suspect test error.

Either way, I think that I would Slam now to resolve the issue, and not leave it for later.

19. Back To Top    #19

Pool has had no use in 7 weeks and haven't seen 0 chlorine. Gonna test again tomorrow and see what that shows.

Same results and I will SLAM it. Haven't ever SLAMed before so I will have to read up on it.

20. Back To Top    #20

Would leaves in the pool have anything to do with it. They are falling here and driving me nuts. I am getting them out but they keep coming

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast