my first pool just filled - need help and reassurance!!!

rayn84

Nov 7, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Hi!

So my very first pool has just finished filling like 2 days ago, I have no experience what so ever and I am really worried about screwing up my beautiful new pool. I have been on the site constantly the past few months trying to learn all I can about how to care for my pool. I have been reading pool school (which I am really diggin' even tho my head feels a little overwhelmed) and I am trying to figure things out but I need some help.

I took a water sample to Leslie's today -I know, I know, I need to get my own kit :p but that is what the PB told me to do. These are the results:

FC 0
TC 0
CH 220
CYA 99
TA 120
pH 7.8
TDS 500
Phos 0

I haven't added anything to my pool so my confusion is where the heck did all the CYA come from?
And from what I am reading that is way too high and the only way to bring it down is to add water, but that is the only thing I have added. I am super confused.

Also I am concerned because I ended up with the pool frog system and I am afraid it is going to cause me problems but I don't really know what to do about it. Can I just not use the system and monitor the chemicals myself or does it have to be disconnected?

I don't mean to sound stupid but this is all very new to me and I dont want to do anything that will cause serious damage. Plus I saw a link on here to a video about a pool popping out of the ground and I am now having nightmares about that :shock:

Thanks in advance :)

Welcome to the forum!

If you're using the pool frog, yes, that's where the CYA is coming from (the frog is all Trichlor). Howver, the pool store test for CYA is notoriously inaccurate, so who knows.

I'll be the first of the chorus to say "You need to put chlorine in your pool, and you need to buy a good test kit."

Welcome to TFP !
I'll second what Smykowski said. Ditch the frog and go with liquid chlorine or a SWG system. Get yourself one of our recommended test kits also.
Learn and use our methods of pool maintenance and you'll have yourself a trouble free pool !
Enjoy the forum !

Thank you so much for replying! As far as I know there are no chemicals inside the frog thing (at least I didnt put anything in there) so how did the CYA get in the pool? It wouldnt just be in the water from my hose right?

From the article I would say traditional startup but honestly I didnt know enough to ask that. I know they are coming out tomorrow to start up the equipment and I am supposed to let it run for the 7 days while brushing it twice a day for two weeks. I was told to take the water to Leslies to find out what chemicals are needed, I assumed they would try to sell me a bunch of stuff but they just gave me the test results and sent me on my way. I need to follow up and find out if I am going to add the chemicals or they will do that. I am just trying to get prepared so I wont be suckered in to anything more than I have already :p I just cant figure out that CYA level.

Regarding the frog system, can i just ignore it and do the chemicals myself or does it have to be removed?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.