Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: my first pool just filled - need help and reassurance!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

my first pool just filled - need help and reassurance!!!

Hi!

So my very first pool has just finished filling like 2 days ago, I have no experience what so ever and I am really worried about screwing up my beautiful new pool. I have been on the site constantly the past few months trying to learn all I can about how to care for my pool. I have been reading pool school (which I am really diggin' even tho my head feels a little overwhelmed) and I am trying to figure things out but I need some help.

I took a water sample to Leslie's today -I know, I know, I need to get my own kit :P but that is what the PB told me to do. These are the results:

FC 0
    TC 0
    CH 220
    CYA 99
    TA 120
    pH 7.8
    TDS 500
    Phos 0

I haven't added anything to my pool so my confusion is where the heck did all the CYA come from?
    And from what I am reading that is way too high and the only way to bring it down is to add water, but that is the only thing I have added. I am super confused.

Also I am concerned because I ended up with the pool frog system and I am afraid it is going to cause me problems but I don't really know what to do about it. Can I just not use the system and monitor the chemicals myself or does it have to be disconnected?

I don't mean to sound stupid but this is all very new to me and I dont want to do anything that will cause serious damage. Plus I saw a link on here to a video about a pool popping out of the ground and I am now having nightmares about that

Thanks in advance
    12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, A&A leaf vac, A&A quik skim, A&A infloor cleaning

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: my first pool just filled - need help and reassurance!!!

Welcome to the forum!

If you're using the pool frog, yes, that's where the CYA is coming from (the frog is all Trichlor). Howver, the pool store test for CYA is notoriously inaccurate, so who knows.

I'll be the first of the chorus to say "You need to put chlorine in your pool, and you need to buy a good test kit."
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP !
    I'll second what Smykowski said. Ditch the frog and go with liquid chlorine or a SWG system. Get yourself one of our recommended test kits also.
    Learn and use our methods of pool maintenance and you'll have yourself a trouble free pool !
    Enjoy the forum !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you so much for replying! As far as I know there are no chemicals inside the frog thing (at least I didnt put anything in there) so how did the CYA get in the pool? It wouldnt just be in the water from my hose right?
    12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, A&A leaf vac, A&A quik skim, A&A infloor cleaning

5. Back To Top    #5

my first pool just filled - need help and reassurance!!!

The CYA did not come from the fill water. Are you saying there was no form of chlorine added to the pool ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to tfp, rayn84

Is the pool builder responsible for the plaster startup or are you? Take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...aster_start-up
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's right, I have not added anything to the water and as far as I know the pool builder hasn't either because I dont think they have been back out yet since it has filled.

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you know what type of startup it is...i.e. traditional, acid, or bicarbonate?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

From the article I would say traditional startup but honestly I didnt know enough to ask that. I know they are coming out tomorrow to start up the equipment and I am supposed to let it run for the 7 days while brushing it twice a day for two weeks. I was told to take the water to Leslies to find out what chemicals are needed, I assumed they would try to sell me a bunch of stuff but they just gave me the test results and sent me on my way. I need to follow up and find out if I am going to add the chemicals or they will do that. I am just trying to get prepared so I wont be suckered in to anything more than I have already :P I just cant figure out that CYA level.

Regarding the frog system, can i just ignore it and do the chemicals myself or does it have to be removed?