Steps immediately after refilling

Nov 8, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hi all. I searched pool school and read through some of the forum posts, but didn't find an answer so I figured I'd just ask. I recently drained my pool due to algae issue (and CYA around 100) and refilled it. After refilling, I ran tests to ensure pH, alkalinity, hardness, and FC were good. Everything checked out except FC was low (around 1). I've added some liquid bleach, plus I have Trichlor. The level is still a bit low, so I plan to bring it up to around 4, however it got me guessing on if I should have SLAM'd the pool immediately post-filling. Now I'm noticing a bit of build-up on the horizontal surfaces (steps, etc) that looks like a brown-ish "dust".

I guess the bottom-line is I'm not sure what all I should have done post-filling. Any help would be appreciated!

FYI - In-ground, Pebble-tec, 28,000 gallon w/ attached hot tub.

Cheers,
Bob

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, if you drained because of algae, you should have SLAMed it. Draining the pool fixes the CH and CYA, but there's still algae in the water that's left. As soon as you refill, the algae multiplies, and you're not any better off (algae-wise, at least).

SLAM the pool now (the lower CYA will make it easier), and you will get it under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.