How do you get a filter not to leak?

Nov 8, 2013
I have an older in-ground Blue Haven pool. The pool was built in about 1992 and is in very good condition. The filter is a Hayward Starclear II C1100 single cartridge filter which I believe to be as old as the pool. I replaced the pump last year and keep the cartridge clean and it all seems to work very well. Recently it began to leak from the o-ring between the filter body and the filter head. The o-ring was replaced but the leak continued. At that point I began to check everything closer and discovered some hairline cracks in the filter head. I had read they could be fixed with epoxy or JB weld but decided to purchase a new filter head. I checked the filter body and found no defects and another new o-ring was used with the new filter head. When started with the new parts it still leaks from the joint. The filter body seems level and there are no visible defects. The water seems to be pushing out from around the o-ring. The gauge in the new filter head indicates the pressure in the system is where it has always been and there is nothing else that has been changed. I have tried it with o-ring lube, different tension on the locking nut and anything else I can think of but this leak wont stop. When I close the system it does not leak initially but as soon as the air purges from the system through the returns the leak comes back. Has anybody experienced this before and if so, what fixed it. I would hate to have to purchase the entire filter system because I cant get the o-ring to seal.

Additional details that I wasnt clear on in the original post. The filter leaked from the same spot several years ago and a simple o-ring replacement fixed the leak. This time I have tried two new o-rings and a new Hayward Filter Head with no fix. This last new o-ring was / is the right part for the system. It is obvious the leak is between the filter body and the filter top with the water pushing right past the o-ring seal. The leak causes water to drip pretty constantly from the filter head enough to keep the cement under the filter wet all the time. I still run the pump as usual but have to keep an eye on the water level. I can't see any issue with the threads on the shaft or the locking nut as I can tighten the plastic nut down pretty tight but it still leaks...

Welcome to TFP!

How generous are you being with the silicone lube on your o-ring? You need to be sure that every spot on the surface of the o-ring needs to be lubed. Also, when you replaced the o-ring, did you purchase a Hayward one specific to your filter model?

Yes, the o-ring is a Hayward product and specific to the C1100. I have been generious with the lube and make sure to cover the entire o-ring. The leak is so reliable and appears like clockwork as soon as all the air is purged from the system it makes me belive there must be a specific problem I am missing. The chances of getting two NEW o-ring seals that leak seems so unlikely. I guess I was hoping someone had suffered this same problem and could tell me what I am missing. I appreciate those of you trying to help. I might have to bite the bullet and call a professional soon.

only thing make sure the filter is pushed all the way down in the tank before you start to tighten the top screw piece... also check for obstruction inside the channel in the lid, maybe gooped up lube or leaves etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.