Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to turn the multivalve lever thingymabob

1. Back To Top    #1

how to turn the multivalve lever thingymabob

I need to turn the lever on my filter from "filter" to "backwash" (pressure up from addition of DE). Am I correct in 1. turning the pump off 2. pressing down on the lever and turning it clockwise?

The darn thing won't budge for anything! I even had my husband try. I don't want to break the dang thing. I assume I'll have to remove the screws, take off the top, and clean it out?

Is is normal when you press down on the lever for water to come out of the filter drain?

I have a firm grasp on pool chemistry, but pool mechanics is beyond me. I still don't entirely understand all the plumbing. My husband is even less mechanically inclined that I am, ha!
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to turn the multivalve lever thingymabob

Yes normal for water to come out when you push the handle down. It should then turn with some effort but not all your strength.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just checking... you are pushing on the end of the lever and not the centre hub right?
    I ask as that was what I did when the pool guy on the phone said
    "Do you see the lever and valve, press it down and turn it"

I tried pressing on the middle and turning the lever like it was a child proof medicine cap. It didn't work!
    With the same instruction my wife did the exact same thing, so I didn't feel too much like an idiot!
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...
    in Adelaide, Australia...

4. Back To Top    #4

Haha! Yes, I was pressing on the end of it. I've ony had to backwash twice this summer (it's a HUUUUGE sand filter) and didn't remember it being that difficult to turn. Guess I'll have to unscrew those 2 million screws and hope I don't mess it up trying to put it back together
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

That's puzzling. The valve is usually pretty bulletproof. While it's a good idea to turn it the same way (clockwise) every time you touch it, it would be okay to try counterclockwise just enough to see it you can get it loose.

If it moves at all, I would still try to move it counter clockwise to change the mode but the little bit of opposite movement might free it and won't cause any harm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Another data point if it helps. My old Americana multiport says to turn counter-clockwise only and on the label it has an arrow pointing that way.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you ever find out what brand/model the multiport is?

I took apart my hayward multiport at the beginning of this season (direction doesnt matter on those) and I sprayed a little silicone spray down the shaft and under the spring. Worked great after that.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

It's a Hayward. It's also pretty new, we got it installed last spring, and our filter and motor are kept in a shed, so they've been kept out of the elements. Seems strange it would get stuck all of the sudden. I'll try turning it back and forth one more time, then we'll have to resort to taking the thing apart. I'll report back. Thanks again!

9. Back To Top    #9

If you take it apart, take it apart slowly and note the orientation so that when you put it back together, the valve does what the label says.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry