Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will cover damage pool if water too low

1. Back To Top    #1

Wynantskill, NY

Will cover damage pool if water too low

I must have a leak in my liner, and my cover is now on for the winter. There is maybe only 6" of water in the pool now. I am concerned that the weight of water and snow on the cover is going to be too much for the pool frame to handle.
    Thoughts? Should I just take the cover off and then fix the liner, or install a new one in the spring?
    13500 Gal AG - Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Will cover damage pool if water too low

Definitely take the cover off to protect your walls from being pulled on. Also, having only 6 inches of water is probably not enough to protect the pool from being blown over. Either you will need to support the pool walls some other way such as with stakes or you need to get the leak fixed and add more water in the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Will cover damage pool if water too low

I agree with linen. The pool is structurally sound when filled with water. If you can't get the leak fixed and get it filled up find a way to support the walls.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.