What does Bromine smell like, and other questions

May 31, 2013
Virginia
We are finally getting around to getting our hot tub repaired. In the meantime, I'm trying to decide between bromine vs. chlorine. I used bleach with great success in our pool all summer long, thanks to you guys.

Question 1. Can anyone describe the bromine smell? I see a lot of people saying it smells like chemicals, or caustic, but can someone be more specific? What kind of chemicals (formaldehyde? household cleaner?)

Question 2. I think that using bromine I can test and "maintain" a little less? From what I'm reading, using chlorine in the hot tub is similar to using it in your pool, you need to test and maintain levels almost every day. We would probably only use the hot tub 2-3x a week and I honestly don't know if I'm up to testing nearly every day.

Question 3. The pool (oops -hot tub) has been sitting stagnant for nearly the last 6 months. I plan on draining and scrubbing it out with a bleach solution, then I need to fill it up and run some kind of biofilm remover, correct? Then for good measure I'd like to drain that, fill with water, and super shock it, then maybe drain that. Is this a sound plan?

Thanks so much!

edit - if it matters, it's a free standing Sundance hot tub, 420 gallons

pool mum said:
Question 1. Can anyone describe the bromine smell? I see a lot of people saying it smells like chemicals, or caustic, but can someone be more specific? What kind of chemicals (formaldehyde? household cleaner?)
Hard for me to describe it other than "it smells more than chlorine" and I don't particularly care for it.

pool mum said:
Question 2. I think that using bromine I can test and "maintain" a little less? From what I'm reading, using chlorine in the hot tub is similar to using it in your pool, you need to test and maintain levels almost every day. We would probably only use the hot tub 2-3x a week and I honestly don't know if I'm up to testing nearly every day.
You can get by with dosing less often using Bromine. With chlorine (I use the "dichlor then bleach" approach), you need to dose at least every other day (or overdose slightly every third day if you have no plans to soak the following 2 days) in my experience. For testing , I only test using the OTO total chlorine test and ph test, usually 1-2X week once I figured out my tub.

pool mum said:
3. The pool has been sitting stagnant for nearly the last 6 months. I plan on draining and scrubbing it out with a bleach solution, then I need to fill it up and run some kind of biofilm remover, correct? Then for good measure I'd like to drain that, fill with water, and super shock it, then maybe drain that. Is this a sound plan?
By pool here, I assume you actually mean your hot tub? Follow the decontamination link in the this post on the "dichlor then bleach" method: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-do-i-use-chlorine-in-my-spa-or-pool-t10095.html#p80503

Does you tub have an ozonator?

It's good that you don't have an ozonator, at least for using chlorine, because ozone reacts with chlorine. Without an ozonator, the chlorine may drop by 25% of the FC per day or perhaps less (depends on temperature) in between soaks (doesn't count drop from dosing after a soak). So you might be able to dose just once mid-week if you don't keep your spa hot in between soaks (i.e. let it get down to 90ºF or below).

You can switch from chlorine to bromine easily, but going from bromine to chlorine will require a water change. And yes, bromine costs more than chlorine, especially once you switch from Dichlor to using bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.