Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

pool light

Hi Ya'll. I just bought a new home with an inground gunite kidney shaped pool. The light bulb is out so i ordered a new bulb. I've drained the pool to just below the light. i removed the one screw on the outter ring, but the ring will not remove. On one side the gunite looks to be halfway up the outter ring. I have no idea how to address this. PLEASE HELP !!

2. Back To Top    #2

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: pool light

cant post a pic from this compter, it a company computer. I can try to post one from my phone tomorrow.

4. Back To Top    #4

The whole light assembly should be removable once the screw is removed. The light assembly is a sealed unit with the bulb inside. The assembly comes out on a cord that should reach the deck. Do you know what model the light is?

5. Back To Top    #5

its an Amerilite

6. Back To Top    #6

one side of the outter facing looks to be sitting on top of the gunite while the other side is inset deeper into the gunite, so the gunite on that side is up onto the ring itself. About halfway up the sideway of the outter ring.

7. Back To Top    #7

It sounds like they plastered over part of the light face ring. Most likely, it's only going to be superficial. I will be better able to tell with the picture.

8. Back To Top    #8

here is the photo. I think i uploaded correctly[attachment=0:373mgwt3]photo.JPG123.JPG[/attachment:373mgwt3]
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

It looks like they plastered over part of the face ring. To remove the light, you might have to carefully cut the plaster and then patch as needed.

10. Back To Top    #10

chiseling gunite away form the ring? how brittle is gunite? will it come off in chunks or only where I break it away?

11. Back To Top    #11

Gunite is the concrete wall. What you see is plaster, which is the waterproof coating. The plaster is usually about 1/2" thick. I would cut it with a diamond blade concrete saw. You can get a diamond tile blade at any hardware store. You can patch any rough spots with white tile grout.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry
    Exeter, PA

it doesn't look like too much plaster is on the light. Just take a flat screw driver or putty knife and see if you can get it between the wall and light maybe with the use of a hammer.
    X-Pert Pool Service
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok great. Was thinking of trying out a rotozip with a masonary bit.