Want a QUIET pump for my 600 gal inground spa - suggestion

Nov 6, 2013
We are replacing a very noisy Hayward 2HP pump on our inground spa. Our backyard is small and the equipment is only about 15 feet away. This pump has been noisy from the start and is getting noisier and will probably die very soon.

Really want to replace with one of the new ultra quiet Whisperflo or Intellipumps but my pool repair guys says he has not had good luck. That they will fail "for no reason" after 3-4 years.

Has anyone had experience with these? Good luck? Bad Luck? Any suggestions appreciated.

Re: Want a QUIET pump for my 600 gal inground spa - suggesti

Someone will weigh in soon with experience. I'm going with Pentair, and lot's of folks love them for being quiet, and durable.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Tell us more about your setup. Do you only have the 1 pump for filtration and spa jets? Is it run for circulation every day? How much do you run it every day?

Which Hayward pump / motor model do you have exactly? Not all 2HP pumps are the same.

We have a fiberglass inground spa. Pump says its a Hayward TriStar MaxRate 2Hp w AOSmith motor SP3215z1M motor. It uses just the one pump for the jets and the skimmer. We have 8 jets. There is an additional "blower" that puts air in the jets but honestly we never run it b/c its just too noisy and bubbly (not adjustable at all :-( ). We do run it everyday, twice a day for about 1.5 - 2 hrs each time for filtration. We use the spa about 2-3 times a week. Hope this helps you understand my setup.

forgot to add that we are in the Dallas TX area so it is hot during the summer and can freeze (tho usually not for days and days) in the winter.

Is the noise only a real concern when you are using it?
Reason I ask is the cheapest solution would be to buy a new 1-speed motor which should be quieter, but it only runs as full speed.
The solution I would suggest would be replacing it with a new 2-speed motor (keep the existing pump). For filtration, you would run the motor on low speed which is VERY quiet. When you want to use the spa, you would flip on high speed and the noise will be comparable to any new motor.

It does not sound like you need a new pump, just a new motor.

BTW, you could add a valve on the pipe below the blower which would restrict the amount of air introduced to the water. While it will not change how loud the blower is, it would reduce the amount of bubbles.

lovemyspa said:
We are replacing a very noisy Hayward 2HP pump on our inground spa. Our backyard is small and the equipment is only about 15 feet away. This pump has been noisy from the start and is getting noisier and will probably die very soon.
Are you sure it is the pump and not the water going through the pump that is noisy? High flow rates tend to be noisy so replacing the pump or motor may not solve the problem. On the other hand a bad bearing can be very noisy but it would be unlikely to be a problem from the start as you noted. Can you record a video/audio of the pump and post it here?

We installed a Pentair Intelliflow and are very happy with it. All full speed it is so much quieter than the old 2HP pump - even with it was brand new! and it's practically silent and the 2 lowest settings.

Pricey but with our small space, the lack of noise is well worth it! Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.