10 Hrs Labor Charged to Replace Bad Compressor on Heat Pump?

chessie6

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
East Hartford, Connecticut
Ouch - two guys came out yesterday to replace the bad compressor in my Hayward heat pump and they were there for 4 hours, for a total of 8 man hours. The rest is travel time since this Hayward-certified HVAC company is 40 minutes away. The compressor and capacitor were under warranty for n/c, and 6 lbs of refrigerant was 210 (the price for the refrigerant I was prepared for already and don't have a problem with that).

Is replacing a compressor really a job that requires 8 hours of labor???

Thanks for your comments,
Jan

Re: 10 Hrs Labor Charged to Replace Bad Compressor on Heat P

Unfortunately that sounds about right. Replacing a compressor isn't an easy task and there was probably about 2 to 3 hours in system vacuum and recharge time.

I don't mind paying a company a fair price for what a job is worth - I understand that they have a lot of costs behind the scenes and are just trying to make a living. I also didn't realize so much time was involved in this kind of a repair - I've been researching this online to educate myself, so I guess it is what it is, but 4 hours ea for 2 guys seems like they really maxed it. I'm not going to question the time involved that they took but I remain with an issue of being charged $170 travel time for 80 minutes of travel and questioned him about it. I guess as this ol lady is getting older she feels like questioning things instead of just letting things go by silently.. :whip:

Personally, I think they stretched it a little, but keep in mind that they probably had to pick up that compressor from a warehouse somewhere (unless it was delivered) and it's hard to say how much time was involved there. Access and ease of getting to the equipment can make a big difference too. Normally, it is not an issue with outdoor heatpumps, but if it is surounded by other equipment, that can make a difference. I just hope they gave you a decent guarantee for their work.

Update and Conclusion: He told me there was one hour of labor talking to Hayward to deal with the warranty issues, and also that he discounted the labor to me from $105 to $85/hr for the entire job. I'm satisfied now that the bill is fair and told him I'm paying by check instead of credit card so that he won't have to pay the cc fee. :goodjob:

However, this will be the last heat pump we will ever have - if it needs repair again, that's it...it's going to the metal recycler. The only times we use it is in the late spring when the temperatures are hot enough to swim but the water temp is still cold. We've found that if the air temps are cool we don't really feel like swimming anyway, even if the water is relatively warm. And it's just as easy to put on a light insulating suit to keep the cold off. Lastly, lucky for us the neighbor cut down a tree that was shading the pool in the mornings and now we have 12 hours of sun on it which has made a huge difference in keeping the water temps up and comfortable. :cool:

Thank you so much for all your contributions to my post,
Jan

Ouch - two guys came out yesterday to replace the bad compressor in my Hayward heat pump and they were there for 4 hours, for a total of 8 man hours. The rest is travel time since this Hayward-certified HVAC company is 40 minutes away. The compressor and capacitor were under warranty for n/c, and 6 lbs of refrigerant was 210 (the price for the refrigerant I was prepared for already and don't have a problem with that).

Is replacing a compressor really a job that requires 8 hours of labor???

Thanks for your comments,
Jan[/

what is the warranty on the heat pump compressor?

Welcome to TFP!

Changing a compressor in a heat pump is quite a job. If they also service the unit then it seems pretty reasonable. I believe the warranty from Hayward is 5 years on a new install.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's why we spring for the whole-house warranty (pool equipment included).

That's what I do. I just got a brand new 260k Jandy NG heater for $100 deductible. They replaced my 25 year old 250k btu NG heater no questions asked. And 2 weeks before that they replaced my dual speed pump under the same deductible.

So I would say about $2,500 worth of equipment for $100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.