Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 10 Hrs Labor Charged to Replace Bad Compressor on Heat Pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

10 Hrs Labor Charged to Replace Bad Compressor on Heat Pump?

Ouch - two guys came out yesterday to replace the bad compressor in my Hayward heat pump and they were there for 4 hours, for a total of 8 man hours. The rest is travel time since this Hayward-certified HVAC company is 40 minutes away. The compressor and capacitor were under warranty for n/c, and 6 lbs of refrigerant was 210 (the price for the refrigerant I was prepared for already and don't have a problem with that).

Is replacing a compressor really a job that requires 8 hours of labor???

Thanks for your comments,
    Jan
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 10 Hrs Labor Charged to Replace Bad Compressor on Heat P

Unfortunately that sounds about right. Replacing a compressor isn't an easy task and there was probably about 2 to 3 hours in system vacuum and recharge time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

My heat pump repair cost just under $1,000 total with the compressor under warranty. Two guys + refrigerant (do not recall the exact lbs. put in).
    18'x9', IG, Plaster, AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWG (RC-35/22 Cell), 1 HP Sta-Rite Dyna-Glas Pump, Sta-Rite PXC75 Posi-Clear Cartridge System, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Whew, that is something. I guess its way different than a plain old AC compressor job. Yikes!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't mind paying a company a fair price for what a job is worth - I understand that they have a lot of costs behind the scenes and are just trying to make a living. I also didn't realize so much time was involved in this kind of a repair - I've been researching this online to educate myself, so I guess it is what it is, but 4 hours ea for 2 guys seems like they really maxed it. I'm not going to question the time involved that they took but I remain with an issue of being charged $170 travel time for 80 minutes of travel and questioned him about it. I guess as this ol lady is getting older she feels like questioning things instead of just letting things go by silently..
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I think they stretched it a little, but keep in mind that they probably had to pick up that compressor from a warehouse somewhere (unless it was delivered) and it's hard to say how much time was involved there. Access and ease of getting to the equipment can make a big difference too. Normally, it is not an issue with outdoor heatpumps, but if it is surounded by other equipment, that can make a difference. I just hope they gave you a decent guarantee for their work.
    John (DIYer). Concrete, approximately 13,000 gallon in-ground pool with adjoining concrete spa. Approximately 40 years old. Hayward Super II pump for pool and legacy Anthony Sta-Rite bronze pump CF6 for spa, VA-26 filter,(2 sets), Rheem propane heater for spa. HASA Liquidator for pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Update and Conclusion: He told me there was one hour of labor talking to Hayward to deal with the warranty issues, and also that he discounted the labor to me from $105 to $85/hr for the entire job. I'm satisfied now that the bill is fair and told him I'm paying by check instead of credit card so that he won't have to pay the cc fee.

However, this will be the last heat pump we will ever have - if it needs repair again, that's it...it's going to the metal recycler. The only times we use it is in the late spring when the temperatures are hot enough to swim but the water temp is still cold. We've found that if the air temps are cool we don't really feel like swimming anyway, even if the water is relatively warm. And it's just as easy to put on a light insulating suit to keep the cold off. Lastly, lucky for us the neighbor cut down a tree that was shading the pool in the mornings and now we have 12 hours of sun on it which has made a huge difference in keeping the water temps up and comfortable.

Thank you so much for all your contributions to my post,
    Jan

8. Back To Top    #8

Re: 10 Hrs Labor Charged to Replace Bad Compressor on Heat Pump?

[QUOTE=chessie6;587992]Ouch - two guys came out yesterday to replace the bad compressor in my Hayward heat pump and they were there for 4 hours, for a total of 8 man hours. The rest is travel time since this Hayward-certified HVAC company is 40 minutes away. The compressor and capacitor were under warranty for n/c, and 6 lbs of refrigerant was 210 (the price for the refrigerant I was prepared for already and don't have a problem with that).

Is replacing a compressor really a job that requires 8 hours of labor???

Thanks for your comments,
    Jan[/

what is the warranty on the heat pump compressor?

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!

Changing a compressor in a heat pump is quite a job. If they also service the unit then it seems pretty reasonable. I believe the warranty from Hayward is 5 years on a new install.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

That's why we spring for the whole-house warranty (pool equipment included).
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    That's why we spring for the whole-house warranty (pool equipment included).
    That's what I do. I just got a brand new 260k Jandy NG heater for $100 deductible. They replaced my 25 year old 250k btu NG heater no questions asked. And 2 weeks before that they replaced my dual speed pump under the same deductible.

So I would say about $2,500 worth of equipment for $100.
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100