Please help me choose a new pump

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

Here is my pipe sizing. questions-on-pipe-sizes-and-booster-pump-t71211.html

Note: My equipment is about 10 feet below the water level.

I am going to change a new pump when the existing pump gives up its soul (very soon). My electric rate is about 12 cents /kWH. I think I need a 2 HP pump because my spa has 6 jets. Please correct me on the pump size if I am wrong. Here are my choices Pentair VS ($866), Pentair WhisperFlo 2 speed ($642), and Pentair SuperFlo 2 speed ($488).

From these pricing, it seems to make sense that I should choose either a VS or a SuperFlo because WhisperFlo's price is somewhere in between. Pool use will be 95% while SPA use is 5%.

1. In terms of total ownership cost over service life of the pump, what one is more favorable?

2. Another option is that I can re-plumb the pipes so that I can put a dedicated SPA pump and new 2.5" pipes to intersect the existing SPA's suction and return with a 3-way value respectively. Then I can replace the existing pump with a 1/2 or 3/4 HP pump. Two single speed pumps cost about the same as a VS pump. But this setup requires 2 new jandy 3-way values and new pipes. The SPA pump does not get used very much, though. What do you think about this idea?

3. Can low speed in 2 speed pump generate enough head to circulate the water? It only uses 1/4 HP at low speed, I think.

4. By the way, Leslie pool supply wants me to pay them for a technician onsite inspection before selling my the VS pump. Can my existing plumbing handle it? I don't know what they need to inspect. They also said that I won't get factory warranty if I install it myself. Is it true?

5. When people say they have 1.5" plumbing, do they mean 1.5" pipes between the equipment or throughout the pool? I have 2" pipes between the equipment and throughout the SPA but 1.5" for pool return and suction. What size of plumbing do I have then?

Thanks,

Scott

I disagree. I installed my Pentair Intelliflo VF myself and the board (Pentair calls it the drive) was DOA. A call to Pentair, new drive shipped next day shipping, no trouble at all. They said currently the warranty is NOT voided based on where purchased or who installed by, but the part about who sells it may change. Warranty will still not be voided if self-installed.

What pump do you have now? The Superflo is a much smaller pump than the Whisperflo even though they have the same HP rating. So, the Superflo may not move as much water as your current pump.

Do you get a rebate on the VS pump? If not, with your low power cost, it may take years to recoup the extra cost of the VS over the 2-speed Whisperflo in power savings.

2. If you were going to go with 2 pumps, I would still get a small 2-speed for the filtration and then an adequate single speed for the spa. In the long run this is not likely the cheapest solution.

3. Yes, no problem low speed is 1700 rpm ... the VS will run fine at 1000 rpm as well.

4. This factory warranty thing is unclear we have seen varying reports ... BS if it is true IMO.

5. Who knows what people think they are saying. Usually the most important is what size and how many are running from the pool to the pad. Upsizing the pipe on the pad can lower the head loss due to all the turns and tees.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.