pool liner problems

May 21, 2008
Clover, SC
I have a problem with liners tearing in one corner. I have replaced the liner twice in the past 4 years and had it patched 4 or 5 times in between. The pool company says that it's because it's the south facing corner which recieves sun all the time and the location of the returns cause all of the debris and oils to collect in that corner. I've kept the liner brushed down and used armour all above the waterline which was recommended by the pool company. Nothing seems to help. I would like some suggestions on a different type of liner, either gunite or changing to a fiberglas pool. I've got to do something different or get the dozer out and fill it in. $ 2200.00 every 2 years just don't work for me. Somebody please help. Thanks' R.D.

I've heard many bad things about using Armor All. I'm north of you, and my pool's south facing wall is in the shade this time of year. The sun is north of us, so I don't think that's your problem.

Can you post more details about the tear? Seam? Does a gap open when it tears? Horizontal or vertical gap?

My off-the-cuff first guess is that your liner is too small, and is being stretched too much from the weight of the water. I'd talk to a different pool company and see what they think.

My guess for 2 liners in 4 years is mismeasurement by the pool company, or assuming that the dimensions are per spec, when they really aren't. Did the person replacing the liner actually measure the pool, or just go off the specifications?

Our pool is 40'6". It's also roughly oval shaped, but the end curves are actually a series of straight lines. We had a pool store try and sell us an oval 40' stock liner, claiming it would stretch to fit, but our old liner had pulled away from the deepend (about 6" go figure), as well as all the corners on the curve (since they had just used an oval liner).

We measured it ourselves and got it custom fit, much better.

Roger - welcome to TFP!!

John and Rob have given great advice!

As I understand it, Armor-All is petroleum based :shock: I wouldn't want gas in my pool and I doubt it can be good for the liner!! I'm gonna have to go with 'improperly measured/ installed/ too small liner' If the same company has been installing new liners based on the original liner dimensions, you'll never get one that fits right and won't rip (there may have been a defect in the pool wall in that corner when the pool was built necessitating a custom cut liner for your pool :( )

I hope you can find someone to properly measure the pool and install a liner that will fit your pool and last it's full lifetime!!!

The liner does rip horizontally and the gap opens up to about 6" and is about 1 1/2' long right now. I'm hoping that it can be patched good enough to finish the summer. Right now times are hard in the body shop business and I don't need to anymore than necessary. Thanks for your advice. R.D.

Roger, take a look at this thread and do 2 patches the way I describe (the second patch should be ~ 1" larger than the first)

This should get you through the season, at least - I know times are tough, I had to take a pay cut this year :evil:

Should you have any trouble with the patching or anything else with the pool, I'll help as best I can :-D

Ted

Hey Ted, Thanks for the advice but I didn't find the thread. how much larger should I make the first patch than the tear. also I onlyhave about 2" above the tear that I can glue too. The tear is just barely below the seam. Just enough for the pool co. not to warranty it. Thanks again R.D.

When they show up in blue you can just click on the blue type to reach the designated post/ thread (but not in this as it's just an example)

The first patch should be ~ 1/4 - 1/2" larger than the tear--- cut the patch to be ~ the same shape as the tear, of course with NO square corners!

I hope you can 'limp by' this season with a patch or two :) If you need more help on this, I'm here most evenings 8)

I have the same kind of tear this year, but my patch attempts have been unsuccessful, noting that the tear grew past the latest patch today. The vinyl and glue seem to soften in the sun and then not stick. Tempted to call someone in that does this for a living, and I don't think the pool stores here carry Boxer 100. Half wondering if the piece of vinyl I have from the stairs cutout could be cut down and slid into the coping somehow to make a patch from the coping down. There isn't much for the patch to grab on to at the top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waste said:
Kinguni. if it's possible for you to get behind the liner, you may want to try a patch on both the inside and the outside to seal the tear.
There's a great thought. Discovered I have another corner tearing too. Think this liner is at 15 years. Just want it to last the summer. All the floating the last 2 years hasn't done it any good, and now that it's not floating any more, it's adding more stress to the corners.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.