Not even sure which questions to ask - new to pool ownership

Nov 5, 2013
Milton, Florida
Hi all,

I want to say this looks like a GREAT site, and I've been reading here in my spare time for a while. Still, since I just moved last month, I've had precious little spare time, so there are great gaps in my learning, but I am trying. :)

This is my first time owning a pool (for a few weeks now!) It's about 33 x 14 inground, with a vinyl liner. I don't know how many gallons, but it has a very short "shallow end" and a steep drop to deep. I have a double pole and can just about reach the bottom, but because of the angle I'm not sure of the actual depth. I can post pics of the filter - the name brand is Hayward but I don't know what type it is. (I live in Milton Florida, which is near Pensacola, as far as climate)

The pool was great moving in. It had been professionally maintained and unused for over a year. I had the water tested (I don't have my own kit yet, I can drive into town and have it done but realistically not more than once a day). I was told it was not bad, a little off on the pH but not to worry until spring, and to add chlorine. They said I had to shock on a regular basis. I can probably find the test results, but since it's been a few weeks I doubt it's relevant. There was a tiny bit of (algae?) starting to grow in a couple of places, and a little sand on the bottom.

My husband got laid off right after we moved in, and took a few weeks to find a new job, so having just bought a house, we had to budget very carefully for a while. We have not been able to buy new pool supplies, and the ones that came with the pool are pretty inadequate. I have a decent skimmer net, and a very old brush. We finally found a Polaris 380 on Craigslist, and along with it got a manual vacuum (brushes are pretty worn down) and new hoses. After buying it, we found out it needs a booster pump, so we are probably back to square one.

I know how to backwash it, and that's been kept up with about once a week. The pump is on a timer, and we left it alone. It runs at night. Not sure how long, but I thought since it was in good shape when we bought the house it would work for now. I've tried to stay on top of skimming but fell behind a time or two. The skimmer basket and another skimmer in the line get cleaned out. The pool is mostly in the shade, but they're palm trees and don't drop much. Leaves blow in, and feathers from the geese. The chlorine tower was completely full when we moved in, and we were told it didn't need to be that full. When it got down to having 2 tablets, we bought more (the chlorine plus 3" tabs) and put several in. There was also chlorine tabs in the skimmer basket so we added some there.

I guess the algae has really gotten out of control? I don't know how bad is bad. The water was fairly clean (not sparkling though) but the algae crept along the liner. Now that my husband is working, he couldn't be home to help with the pool. I wanted to scrub and vacuum it manually, but he's afraid I will mess something up, so I agreed not to do it. But he's only off on Sunday, and I don't think waiting is such a good idea.

Anyway, the algae pretty much covers the liner. I noticed the water level was lowered after backwashing, so I went to add more. I saw that the force of the hose "cleaned" the pool, so I was determined to do SOMETHING. I put the old brush on the pole (actually, I got a newer, nicer one as a freebie with the Polaris, but it broke after about 3 swipes - I don't know if I can fix it - the place the handle inserts just split and fell apart). Anyway, I spent a good 2-3 hours scrubbing the pool liner and then trying to fish out the leaves, centipedes, and feathers from the bottom. I set the filter to run the whole time, and it's still running. I didn't get all the algae from the liner, and the water became very cloudy, but I got most of the leaves. A little sediment and other dirt still down there.

I can go tomorrow and have the water tested. In another week or two, hopefully we can have some money to buy some more of what we need. The guy with the polaris gave us a bucket of assorted bottles of chemicals and also a tub of liquid chlorine (smells like) he said was for shocking it.

Oh, and when the pump is running, the jet near the steps (closest to the pump btw) seems to be working well. The next one down blew a LOT of big air bubbles when I first turned it on, but seems to be working fairly well. The one on the deep end didn't seem to be working at all, but later I saw a couple of tiny whirlpools above it, so it is disturbing the water a bit.

I'm not sure how to proceed, except I know I need to get the water tested. If I can, I will do it this afternoon.

I have some more pics if needed, and can take more. I uploaded several others in photobucket, I think it's open to anyone who wants to see it. It's at http://s1018.photobucket.com/user/Trish ... t=3&page=1

Any comments appreciated. I know I didn't even really ask direct questions, but that's where I am. Not even sure what kind of equipment I have, or how bad the pool is. I did take a lot of pics, now going to try to figure out how to get them here.

Thank you all so much, and it's great to be here!!!

Re: Not even sure which questions to ask - new to pool owner

Welcome to tfp, Trishanna :wave:

Trishanna said:
I'm not sure how to proceed, except I know I need to get the water tested. If I can, I will do it this afternoon.
Well, as you know, your pool has algae. Here is the link to the pool school article on the SLAM process that will get rid of the algae: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

However, to do the process effectively you will need to have your own appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Pool store results tend to be inconsistent and even if they were consistent, you would not get them often enough for the SLAM process (or for that matter, regular maintenance).

Without knowing the depths of your water (both shallow and deep end) I can only guess that your volume ~ 17000 gallons.

Thank you for the reply.

The shallow end is just over 3' deep, the deep end (as close as I can tell) is about 8-1/2' deep. The pool is oval (33 x 14). The first 10 feet of the length are 3-4+ feet, then it slopes steeply to deep.

I tried an online calculator and guessed 20K? I may be way off, they only had rectangular pools and I took off some for that.

Realistically, we may be able to buy a test kit in a couple of days.

Should I really just leave things alone until then? I don't want to make things worse, or waste too much time/money/chemicals.

On the other hand, I don't know yet the cost of the chemicals to do this. If it's relatively inexpensive (and I have some on hand), I'd rather balance the risk of wasting the chemicals with the risk of things just getting worse?

Thanks so much!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Realize that you will likely need to order one of the recommended test kits as it is exceedingly rare to find the in a local pool store.
This is certainly step 1.

While waiting for the kit, you should be reading Pool School to start to understand the chemistry and learn how to follow the SLAM process. Here are a few more links:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Thanks so much. Hopefully I can go ahead and order the TF100 soon since it's a little more cost effective.

(EDITED - NEVER MIND on the italicized part - the shortened article showed me right away I can't just add the bleach without knowing ... I had missed that in trying to digest the longer article!)

I did run the old results I had (from a few weeks ago - I know probably just about meaningless) and estimate the water volume with the Pool Calculator. (TA 65, ph 7.3, CYA 85, CH 50 - FC and total chlorine both say 43+ but I'm thinking she meant 4.3???). I come up with about 18000 gal on the calculator.

If I am figuring things right, I could just add about 450 oz 6% household bleach and keep the filter running? I KNOW things are not really as simple as I'm making it sound, and I should be testing all along, etc. But what I am wondering is this:

If that's about the level of chemical needed, what would happen if I added the bleach and kept the filter running? Can I possibly cause any damage or make things worse? If there is any possibility it would make things better, I'm willing to try that. I already have several gallons of bleach on hand, so it would be a very minor expense to at least give it a try?

My reasoning (please correct me if I'm wrong, since I really know nothing about this) is that if I do nothing until the test kit arrives, I will likely have a lot more algae to kill at that point. So it's better to do something in the meantime?

(You're going to tell me I'm totally off on that, aren't you, LOL. If so, that's fine - just I'm anxious to do SOMETHING and it seems like maybe I shouldn't? I just don't know how all this works.)

Thanks so much!

OH, if anyone can tell me what kind of filter I have from the pics in the first post, I'd appreciate it. I need to figure out how to maintain it too ... Thanks!!!

Before you can really start to SLAM, you need to know the CYA level. If that is too high (85ppm you reported from the store is too high), then you will need to replace water to get that in the 30-50ppm range. THEN you can start to SLAM.

It would be safe to add 1-2 bottles of bleach each day, but might be kind of a waste if you have to dump water anyway. It may help hold the algae at bay, but likely would result in using more bleach than if you just wait.

That is a sand filter. One thing you could do is check the condition of the sand and clean it as described here: my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html#p60821

Bama Rambler said:
As JB said, it's a sand filter. Most likely a Hayward S244T.
Really? Looks bigger that 24" diameter to me. Maybe the S270T?

One one way to find out ... measure the circumference or the diameter of the filter.

Of course I have never seen them in person, so certainly could be wrong ;)

Welcome to TPF. I certainly agree with our pros above who recommend you read and reread pool school. The concept of the proper level of chlorine and CYA is a biggie that will make your pool experience better and require the minimum amount of chemical expense if followed exactly.

Before you get your test kit in, make an excel spreadsheet, if your a computer person, with rows for everything you can test for. You don't have to do every test every day (I do CYA once a week for example). Include a remarks row so you can write down what you have added or done to the pool. That way you won't be guessing about how much clorox you added and such.

Get online and get the manual for your sand filter. It will have a parts breakdown that will be good information incase you need parts and should have basic directions on how to change the sand. I can't remember the name of the sub forum but we have one that covers filters. Lots of people have sand filters, so there is alot of help and assistance for you as you need it. It can be awfully intimidating taking something apart you have never seen before.....we can help.

Make sure and save the Pool Calculator on your browser as a favorite. Once that test kit comes in you will be it using alot. The calculator has been THE key to my pool this year being the best it has ever been. Inbetween the calculator, test kit and my spreadsheet, I know exactly what is happening and what has happened to my pool. Dispite one of the wettest years on record for us here, I have had ZERO outbreaks this year. I attribute this directly to testing and the calculator. Past years I tested but didn't really use the calculator (I had a SWG and didn't think I needed to I am very sad to say).

Last point is, I see that beautiful tablet "thing" attached to your pool plumbing. You won't be needing to use that much anymore. I am sure you have read around here that tablets are OK, but only under special circumstances. Think bleach. Regular clorox.....that's it. If you have a pool store you can look for higher concentrations than what the WalMart or Target sells, but price it out. Our Sam's club has a three pack that I think it the cheapest per gallon here, but two gallons of fuel to drive there.....WalMart three blocks away is more cost effective. Oh, keep your clorox in a dark place.......do NOT keep it outside in the heat or anywhere it is in direct sunlight......it "burns" the chlorine off before you can even put it in the pool (ie. your wasting your money), just helping out the budget there.......

Don't worry, we are all here to help....don't be afraid to ask what you might think as stupid questions. Don't worry about that, we all has to start somewhere and all of us have asked stupid questions over the years. It's just part of the learning process. Honestly, it took me about three times going through pool school before I "got it". It took me another couple of days using the pool calculator to get comfortable using that.

Good luck!!

Bob E.

Thanks much for everything. :)

I think it may be 24" ... looks about right. I can measure tomorrow. Had to go off tonight and take care of other stuff.

If I had realized I could skip the tablets ... I spent about as much on a tub of those as the test kit would have been. Ah well, live and learn? I would appreciate NOT having to open that tube and look inside. It hits me around eye-level, and the fumes are intense sometimes.

Now I can appreciate the three big containers the guy gave me with the Polaris. He said it was for shocking the pool, seems to be bleach or something similar. The bleach is almost gone, but I have three nice dark containers that look to hold several gallons each. They are from a pool place.

I can call around and price stuff out. We have a LOT of pool supply companies here. Maybe one of them sells bleach in bulk or something (I will at least call the one the containers came from, since it's supposed to be a discount place.) But bleach and baking soda are relatively inexpensive. I may have to be getting a Sam's membership after all. I am still feeling the loss of having moved out of range of Costco.

Thanks for the spreadsheet suggestion. Not sure if this computer has one (Mac has its good points, but I miss the Windows-based computers I'm used to - mine died and have not replaced yet). If nothing else, I will make a fillable sheet. The pool calculator is looking like a NICE tool to follow. :)

I'm just antsy to get a test kit now. :)

Thanks all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like everybody has you covered. As for the test kit, I'm glad to hear you're excited. I spent a couple of years under/unemployed, so I can certainly sympathize. I can assure you though, doing it our way is a much better decision financially. The pool store tests your water for free, but they will bleed you dry with their chemical costs. Our way requires a little more outlay in the beginning for the test kit (and lots of bleach if you're cleaning up a swamp), but gets very easy and very cheap thereafter.

We recommend using PoolMath now, see link in my signature. Poolcalculator has been abandoned by its owners so it is missing updates.

If you find a pool store that sells liquid chlorine in bulk in refillable containers, that will likely be you cheapest option. There is a simple calculation you can do to find the cost per ppm of FC.

Trishanna said:
Thanks much for everything. :)

Thanks for the spreadsheet suggestion. Not sure if this computer has one (Mac has its good points, but I miss the Windows-based computers I'm used to - mine died and have not replaced yet). If nothing else, I will make a fillable sheet.

If you have the new Mac OS Mavericks (a free upgrade from Snow Leopard), it comes with Apple's iWork "Numbers" spreadsheet for free.
It works in a very similar way to Windows' Excel, most of the formulae are the same.

Hi Trishanna, :wave:

Looks like the folks in the know have given the advise you need.

So I will just say I really like your oval shaped pool, they are my favorite shape. And I dig that short palm tree in the corner by the fence too!. Wish I had me a couple of them about that size in my yard.

I'm sure you will get your pool under control soon with the help of the fine folks here.....

Enjoy....
:swim:

Thanks again, everyone. :)

The filter is indeed 24". It is HUGE to me, but only 24" across.

I still have Safari 5.x ... won't upgrade further. I think snow leopard is only $20, so I have been thinking I will need to go that route sooner or later. There's too much I can't do with this old version, and nothing will update anymore.

I'm glad to hear this method is cheaper. I was getting worried about the cost of chemicals. Chemistry is NOT my area, but I can see the wisdom in monitoring things and making sure they stay right instead of having to constantly clean up messes. I'm glad I found this forum. :)

Pinch a Penny does sell chlorine in bulk, since the containers I have are the correct ones. I can get 7.5 gal for about $16 including tax. Haven't priced out bleach at Wal Mart or Sam's here but I'm thinking laundry bleach will be cheaper. (Edited to add - pool store is actually 15% chlorine, so I think that DOES make it cheaper, since that's about 2.5x the concentration of my chlorine bleach)

Will use Pool Math now, thanks for mentioning that!!!

Oh, and there are actually TWO palm trees by the pool, one at each end. The other one is much taller. A nice thick sago at each end too (maybe that's what you meant?). I love them - and I certainly hope nothing happens to them in any hurricane, etc. I couldn't afford to replace them, and they really make the pool look nice!!! They were actually something I factored in while choosing this house. :)

Thanks again!

Here is a bleach calculator: http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/calc/chlorine/

$16 for 7.5 gallons of 15% is a GREAT price = $0.11 / fl oz of chlorine

Walmart is usually $2.99 for 121 oz of 8.25% = $0.30 / fl oz of chlorine
The 10% liquid chlorine from Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes is usually around $0.25-0.26/fl oz

That Pinch a Penny is definitely going to be your best deal. Just note that the higher the % the shorter the shelf life. 7.5 gallons may last a long time and over time it will get weaker ... especially if stored outside or in the sun.

OK, I think now I at least know what questions to ask - please bear with me as some are probably "stupid" questions, LOL.

Regarding chlorine storage - I planned to keep it in the garage (insulated but not temp controlled) in a container made for it. Sounds like $16 will go a long way, so cost is not the issue long-term, but do I risk not properly caring for the pool by storing it? I'm thinking I will buy the 7.5 gal up front for getting rid of the algae anyway (there is a quantity discount for 3 jugs, but not a huge difference).

I read about using DE to more quickly clear the water since I have a sand filter. Most days it's really too cold (for me) to swim here, so it's not like I'm in a huge hurry. My husband read about adding DE anyway. I'm wondering though, if I run any risk of dangerous pressure since I don't have ideal conditions right now for determining the amount of DE to add?

I wonder if my pump/filtration system is in good enough order to effectively circulate the bleach. Is it normal for there to be a large difference between the pool water returns? (I have 3 that I know of, and the ones closest to the pump are much stronger - got a lot of large air bubbles coming out of the one in the middle yesterday, and the furthest one - unfortunately in the murkier deep end - barely disturbs the surface.)

I don't think I can know my filter pressure when clean at this point ... is that a concern, or can I find it out? I already scrubbed the pool, so the cleanish water has now turned green all over. That may have been a bad idea ... ?

I'm a little confused on which CYA level I should use when determining target FC level? The old CYA (from pool store) will be about 3 weeks old before I can begin SLAMing. But a new CYA level will be inaccurate since there is algae in the water already?

And finally, regarding the test kit, I do NOT want to get halfway through and not have what I need to finish. I see many of the items in the TF-100 are enough for LOTS of tests, but the one that most concerns me is the DPD powder, that is only enough for 25 tests? I can order the XL ... will that be enough to see me through? Any other recommendations before I order the test kit? I do need to be as careful with the money as possible.

I think that's it ... though I'm sure once I get started I'll have more. I'm glad to hear the TF test kit is a color-change for the most part. I always did have trouble matching test strip shades.

Thanks again!!!

Answers below in Red:

Trishanna said:
OK, I think now I at least know what questions to ask - please bear with me as some are probably "stupid" questions, LOL.

Regarding chlorine storage - I planned to keep it in the garage (insulated but not temp controlled) in a container made for it. Sounds like $16 will go a long way, so cost is not the issue long-term, but do I risk not properly caring for the pool by storing it? I'm thinking I will buy the 7.5 gal up front for getting rid of the algae anyway (there is a quantity discount for 3 jugs, but not a huge difference).

I would not buy more than 7.5 gallons at a time and once in maintenance mode, it will not degrade much before you use it.

I read about using DE to more quickly clear the water since I have a sand filter. Most days it's really too cold (for me) to swim here, so it's not like I'm in a huge hurry. My husband read about adding DE anyway. I'm wondering though, if I run any risk of dangerous pressure since I don't have ideal conditions right now for determining the amount of DE to add?

DE is usually only recommended after mostly done with SLAMing and the water is still cloudy (not full of live algae). It just speeds up the process of clearing out the fine particles. You should not do this if you do not have accurate pressure readings.

I wonder if my pump/filtration system is in good enough order to effectively circulate the bleach. Is it normal for there to be a large difference between the pool water returns? (I have 3 that I know of, and the ones closest to the pump are much stronger - got a lot of large air bubbles coming out of the one in the middle yesterday, and the furthest one - unfortunately in the murkier deep end - barely disturbs the surface.)

It does not take much flow to circulate things. Guaranteed my pump on low speed is moving less water than your pump. You should not be seeing air bubbles at all though. That points to a leak in the plumbing. Do you have bubbles in the pump basket?

I don't think I can know my filter pressure when clean at this point ... is that a concern, or can I find it out? I already scrubbed the pool, so the cleanish water has now turned green all over. That may have been a bad idea ... ?

Does the gauge work? Just do a good backwash and after starting the filter back up, use that as the clean pressure for now.

I'm a little confused on which CYA level I should use when determining target FC level? The old CYA (from pool store) will be about 3 weeks old before I can begin SLAMing. But a new CYA level will be inaccurate since there is algae in the water already?

Algae does not really impact the CYA level. Just measure it when you get your kit and use that value. Make sure to test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level. Pour back and forth a few times to see if the reading is consistent.

And finally, regarding the test kit, I do NOT want to get halfway through and not have what I need to finish. I see many of the items in the TF-100 are enough for LOTS of tests, but the one that most concerns me is the DPD powder, that is only enough for 25 tests? I can order the XL ... will that be enough to see me through? Any other recommendations before I order the test kit? I do need to be as careful with the money as possible.

Where do you see that there is only enough powder for 25 tests? The standard amount will certainly do more than that, although the XL is not a bad idea. I would also recommend the SpeedStir as that makes the testing even easier and faster.

I think that's it ... though I'm sure once I get started I'll have more. I'm glad to hear the TF test kit is a color-change for the most part. I always did have trouble matching test strip shades.

The tests we recommend are WAY easier and more accurate than the color matching like on test strips. pH is the only color matching and it is not too critical to be at a specific value.

Thanks again!!!

Thanks, I think I am on track for most of it then - I appreciate the answers!

jblizzle said:
I'll put my reply in blue

It does not take much flow to circulate things. Guaranteed my pump on low speed is moving less water than your pump. You should not be seeing air bubbles at all though. That points to a leak in the plumbing. Do you have bubbles in the pump basket?

Glad to know I'm ok with the water circulation at least since I'm thinking that would be expensive to correct. When I *first* turned on the pump, I saw a lot of large bubbles coming out of only the middle one. Normally the pump runs automatically at night, so I never see what happens. The bubbles did last several minutes. After that, they were gone and everything was normal. By pump basket, I'm guessing you mean the basket like the one that's in the skimmer, but by the pump? I have so far just opened the cover the clean it out, but put the top back on before running the pump. Is that something I should check with the pump running? I don't do anything without being sure, since I know nothing about how all this operates and I don't want any dangerous pressure situations.

Does the gauge work? Just do a good backwash and after starting the filter back up, use that as the clean pressure for now.

The gauge does work, so thanks, I'll do that.

Where do you see that there is only enough powder for 25 tests? The standard amount will certainly do more than that, although the XL is not a bad idea. I would also recommend the SpeedStir as that makes the testing even easier and faster.

On this page: http://tftestkits.net/cart.php?m=pr...&shopByPrice=&viewAll=1&customListIds=&venID=

I am looking at the R-0870 refill.

That's the amount that comes in the test kit the first time? Am I understanding correctly?

If I can still get accurate results without it, I will probably have to wait on the SpeedStir for just right now. But if it will be helpful -- and I see some of this testing needs to be done daily -- then I will probably get it later.

Thanks again, very much. I'm starting to feel as though I might actually be able to do this. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.