Not even sure which questions to ask - new to pool ownership

Re: Not even sure which questions to ask - new to pool owner

Thanks for the pool spreadsheet. I will probably use that one at least to start, since I can print it out with no issues. :)

I will probably have to wait to check on the plumbing. It's raining today, and I don't think I can reliably check for leaks. I need to run some neglected errands so will probably be gone. If it dries up, maybe I can check on it this afternoon.

Probably totally irrelevant in the overall scheme of things, but the pool DOES look a little better today. Maybe I killed off some of the algae, or maybe what I brushed up finally settled. I know it's probably pointless, since I can't test yet, and maybe the rain doesn't help. But a little section of the shallow end looks clean, the deep end is less murky, and from a distance it looks overall a bit whitish. Then again it may just be the different lighting with the cloud cover. Anyway, I'll add a little more chlorine tonight, just because I want to empty the containers, and if it helps, great. Hopefully I'm not going to cause any corrosion.

I need to pick up a better brush and a thermometer while I'm out today, to have ready when I am able to SLAM the pool.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Have to be gone again part of today but I got the manuals for the pump and filter printed out, going through those. Should get test kit ordered today. I'll get back to checking into trying to find the air leak asap. I wanted to have the manual for the pump first to understand how the things work, at least on a basic level. :)

(Some pretty gruesome warnings in those manuals, btw ... having one's intestines sucked out???)

And thanks for the recommendation - they didn't have the wall whale, but I looked it up online. I bought a very basic brush but will look into getting the wall whale soon then. :)

Thanks again!

<(Some pretty gruesome warnings in those manuals, btw ... having one's intestines sucked out???)>

Not lately, but yes. On a very very very rare occasion, a person, usually kids, has been stuck to the main drain with unacceptable outcome.
The Virginia Graeme Baker Act now requires new built swimming pools with main drains to address the issue of getting stuck.
The most common methods are
- Install 2 drains on a single line and they must be at least 3 feet apart, so if someone sits or covers one drain, the other one acts as a vacuum break. And, install Main Drain Covers that are designed such to make it extremely difficult for the most part to get stuck. These can also be installed on older pools where a single main drain may be a safety issue or at least, make mom and dad feel a whole lot better.
- The most effective method of eliminating this possibility of getting stuck to a drain is not to install them at all, which a lot of PB's are doing the last few years. A no drain pool actually is somewhat of a hot debate topic these days because a main drain by many, is considered an essential water circulation element.

There are lots of articles online about it ... easily google-able.
http://www.poolsafely.gov/pool-spa-safe ... eme-baker/
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nat ... 1687_x.htm

I'll have to look at that when I have a chance. I think our pool has a single drain (at least that's what I thought that was) but I'm thinking draining the pool would not be a wise thing to do. Not sure where it would go, but we're on septic, and there is nowhere on this property that can take that volume of water all at once. Was just something that surprised me in the manual. Not really something that concerns me as a likely event.

I was supposed to ask ... is there some particular kind of lubricant folks use on the pump basket o-ring? I thought we had plenty of stuff, but either it's not unpacked, or more likely my husband didn't bring any, so I will need to get something. Wanted to know if I'm supposed to be looking for anything in particular.

Also ... I think I made a stupid mistake, and I wonder how bad it was or what I need to do. I was running the pool pump, and I took out the skimmer basket to empty it. It was overfull, and some of the leaves ended up floating with the basket out, and got pulled into the system. Will they just get caught in the pump basket, or did I really mess up?

Hoping my test kit will arrive soon. I ordered Friday, USPS was cheaper shipping (though I wasn't sure, if UPS had been quicker I would have opted for that). Still putting a bit of chlorine in the pool each day, so I can refill all 3. Pool actually seems somewhat improved, though still too green to matter. At least the scummy green bubbles that were caused by scooping with the net a couple of days ago are not happening anymore. I'm just hoping to be starting from a less-swampy place than I would have been when I can finally SLAM it.

Thanks all!

I wouldn't drain the pool either. Some day you will have to replace the liner, and at that time if you want to address the main drain, then that would be the time to do it. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Silicone lubricant is what you should use on the O Rings. It can be had in both gel and spray. It can be had at walmart, Lowes, pretty much any hardware store and also the pool store.
Don't use vasoline or any petroleum based type of lubricant.

No worries about the leaves getting past the skimmer. The pump basket will catch it just fine.

I got my test kit in about 4 days via usps. Hopefully yours will show up soon.

Try leslies if you have one near you. Weds they run a punch card that if u buy 1. 2.5 gallon of chlorine for 4$. They punch the card twice and when you get 10 punches the next 2.5 gallons are free. I go on wed and fill 3 containers and get credit for 6 containers so it works out to a huge advantage

Fortunately the liner is brand new so I hope I won't be having to replace soon. Hadn't thought of the fact I'll obviously have to drain it for that. Will probably have to be done over time though - the soil drains well enough but it still can't be a good idea to dump THAT much water.

Glad you mentioned Leslie's. I'd seen them mentioned online but not around town, but according to the store locator there's one nearby. I'll check with them too. If they sell that cheaply in bulk, they are closer than Pinch a Penny too.

And thanks for the info on the lubricant. Hopefully the test kit will arrive soon and I want to be ready when it does.

I hope cooler weather is more conducive to fighting algae. It's going in the 30s overnight in a few days. Still gotta drop the thermometer in the pool to see what the water temp is running. Have had to spend my outside time building new fencing so not much work on the pool other than keeping leaves out for the past couple days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Quick question re: vacuuming to waste

My test kit isn't here yet (forgot Monday would be a postal holiday) but the chlorine seems to be doing a decent job. About half the algae in the pool is gone, water itself is MUCH improved, and I have NOT brushed lately or vacuumed the bottom. Pump/filter and skimming surface as usual. What I have (I think) is a few pockets of (dead?) algae on the bottom. Rather than vacuuming it into the filter, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a lot easier to get this gunk out of the system if I just vaccuum it onto the ground?

If so, does the "waste" setting on the Hayward vary-flo xl valve send the water out through the backwash pipe?

Would I do this by hooking up a pool vac to the skimmer as usual?

Thanks very much!

You got it. Waste will pump the water out the backwash port and skip the filter.
Just hook up the vacuum like you always do. Turn the valve to waste. Fire up the pump. SLOWLY move the vac to try not to disturb the gunk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.