Not even sure which questions to ask - new to pool ownership

Re: Not even sure which questions to ask - new to pool owner

Trishanna, don't worry about the page format stuff. It's going to do what it's going to do. It's more imporatant you concentrate on your pool and continue to ask questions, than worry about the width of the page.

On follow up, when you have the cash, do invest in a Taylor speed stir. It should be between 30 and 40 bucks to your door and you don't need to get extra measuring tubes and little white pills either. The basic speed stir will make testing SO easy, fun and more importantly consistent. What used to take 10 minutes of dropping and stirring and dropping and stirring to mix chemicals now can take literally less than 2 minutes. Seriously, from the time I close the back door, open the test kit, fill the container from the pool, start the speed stir....dry power, then drops. 2 minutes tops. Done.

Additional points: with just a "little" training, anyone (including kids) can test the water quickly and consistently.

Bob E.

Ah, I see that it does say 25 tests ... this is kind of dependent on how high your FC level is as you need to use more powder. I would suggest getting the XL to anyone that is having to start with a SLAM. If you store the kit indoors in a closet it will not go bad in a few years.

The SpeedStir is not a requirement, but it sure does make things a little easier.

You should not be seeing any bubbles in the return except for after you have opened the pump strainer basket or filter while the air purges out. Once it is "primed" there should not be any more air in the system. You need to be looking at your equipment and see if the pump stays full of water when it is off and whether you see bubbles entering the pump while it is on.

Folks, that 25 tests is a typo we have never caught. It will do more than that. Let me do the math and I will post a response here and also correct the website. Thanks for catching it.

Glad to know the test will do more than that. And glad I could actually be of some help. ;)

As far as air in the lines --- hmm. I just did a backwash. I always empty the pump basket beforehand (it had just been done before the big bubbles) and I notice it says to fill with water ... the tank isn't quite full? It comes almost to the top of the basket.

No big bubbles after the backwash this time. But there IS a tiny stream of bubbles on the surface around some of the jets (not sure if I'm ever using the right words for anything ... is there something on here that tells you the names of all the parts?). Anyway, it looks a bit like bubbles coming up from a carbonated drink, but maybe a bit more. I may be wrong, but to me, that means there must be air in there somewhere? Not sure if any amount is normal though?

Before the backwash the gauge was reading 9, after it's just below 14.

Went ahead and put in a little of the bleach, since I'm not sure how old it is anyway, and I want to use it up so I can go in and fill all 3 at once. I think I accidentally added more than I intended. The container is pretty heavy and I think I'm going to need some way to accurately get what I need.

I think I will try to get the stirrer as soon as I can. The deal when we moved in was that it was going to be my daughter's job to maintain the pool, but I can't very well expect her to do it when I can't figure it all out yet.

Thanks again. :)

There really should not be any air in the pump basket or entering the pool. Although after opening the system it may take some time for all the air to be purged.

So the pump basket is not completely full of water?

It also does not make sense that the pressure AFTER backwashing the filter is higher than before? The pressure should be less when the filter is clean.

We will get you both up to speed and enjoying a clear pool ... just a big learning curve to start.

jblizzle said:
You need to be looking at your equipment and see if the pump stays full of water when it is off and whether you see bubbles entering the pump while it is on.

And I'm trying to figure out how to do this? I'm guessing it has nothing to do with the little glass bottle where you can see how clean the water is (or isn't?). No bubbles in there, btw, that I could see. That's the only part of the system I can see into though?

The water doesn't reach the oring seal of the basket holder, no. It's maybe a couple of inches lower than the top of the oring? I wasn't sure how full it should be. Most of the basket is underwater, but not quite all.

I guess I am not sure how long to purge the air. I don't recall any more air when I went out later last night to look at it, but I could be wrong. I just finished the backwash and restarted the pump about an hour ago maybe.

I did notice a tiny bit of water (a couple of drops) around the large PVC pipe marked "return" where it goes into the filter assembly. It's certainly nowhere near enough to be dripping, but there is some moisture loss there. Not sure if that's a problem.

I can just see a little into the pump basket and can see "rushing" in there, but no idea if that involves air. I'd guess it might, but I'm not sure if I could be seeing the same thing if it was only water.

The water was a bit low (not below the bottom of the skimmer intake though) and I've had the hose running into the pool for the past half hour now.

ETA: I just double-checked the gauge, it reads just under 14 now. The other reading was while I was backwashing though, not while it was just filtering, so ... maybe those have nothing to do with each other. :oops:

The math says 98 tests and an actual count using the scoop yielded 104 tests. Sorry we let that error slip for s-o-o long. :oops: Website is corrected to "roughly 100".

BTW, air in the pump basket when the pump is running indicates a suction side AIR leak....a leak you need to fix.

Somewhere between the skimmer(s) and the impeller, you are sucking air into the system.

The little glass bottle is only for looking at the clarity of the water while backwashing ... no water moves through it unless you are backwashing.

The pump basket ideally is completely full of water to the point where you see no air and wonder if it is completely empty ;).
This is not a VS or 2-speed pump running on low speed is it?
Sounds like there is a lot of air getting into the pump. Did you clean and re-lube the o-ring on the pump basket lid?

If you can see the water rushing into the pump basket (and it stays that way indefinitely) then you certainly have an air leak somewhere.

Make sure the water in the pool is high enough that air is not being sucked into the pump through the skimmer by the pool.

Only read the gauge while in filter mode. The pressure during backwashing does not matter. So, you clean pressure appears to be 14psi, that means you should clean it when it rises 20-25% which would be around 17 psi. Although these numbers need to be rechecked after you get the air leak issue fixed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Unfortunately I have no idea what kind of pump it is yet. Would this be it?

If necessary, I can get more pics or get info off the label.

I hate not knowing the answer to what are probably really simple questions, LOL.

I didn't clean and re-lube the pump basket o-ring. There is writing molded into the lid that says not to since it was factory lubed?

So I will completely fill the place where the pump basket is, and let it run and see what happens. Since the pool has been fine up until now, I guess I should concentrate on getting it clean, then worry about a leak ... assuming the air leak isn't going to damage something in the works?

I just had the brilliant idea of trying the water hose on this manual rolling cleaner the guy with the Polaris threw in, and it worked! I got all the rest of the leaves and big stuff from the bottom of the pool. Wish I'd tried that before spending all that time stirring with the net and trying to scoop them out of the water (and missing because I had no depth perception in murky water). Live and learn some more, lol. That little rolling thing with the net bag is my favorite new pool toy.

That is a picture of the motor that is attached to the pump. That is a basic 1 speed motor/pump and should be able to purge the air out of the pump basket.

The writing on the lid is dumb. Mine had that too ... that is just telling the installer not to add more lube (also dumb). Make sure the o-ring is clean and not cracked and lube it up good with a silicone lubricant gel.

You should really get the pump working well before you focus on clearing up the pool.

What type of cleaner did you use to get the debris? Is it a pressure cleaner running off the pool pump return jet?

Add a bunch of pictures of all your equipment.

Trishanna,
You CAN do this.
Just like anything new....
It is intimidating at first, but in reality, its not as bad as it may seem. It will just take a little time, but it will happen. Once you get started on the algae killing, just keep hammering it and stay on it, and in no time it will all be gone.

About your filter pressure, like jblizzle said... after backwashing, use that pressure as your clean pressure benchmark. Write that number down or put a mark on the gauge with a sharpie or just don't forget it. Whatever works for you to remember what your clean pressure is.

When the pressure rises about 8 above your benchmark, then that's when the filter really needs backwashing.
It doesn't hurt to backwash sooner, but new water to replace what got backwashed out costs money.

When you start killing the algae by SLAMing, keep an eye on the pressure every day or even a couple times or more a day and you will get a feel for whats going on in there. Once the dead algae starts getting filtered out, the sand will get saturated with dead algae pretty quick and the pressure will rise accordingly.

And yeah, its the Sego Palms that I really like. I couldn't remember the name of them in my earlier post. I'm gonna plant a couple of 2 footers come springtime. Hopefully, they will turn out exactly like yours!

Divin Dave said:
When the pressure rises about 8 above your benchmark, then that's when the filter really needs backwashing.
It doesn't hurt to backwash sooner, but new water to replace what got backwashed out costs money.
This is NOT the official forum recommendation. Our recommendation is to backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Much beyond this and the flow rate and thus filtration is greatly reduced.

I used a leaf bagger (from the visual encyclopedia in Pool School) to clean the bottom of the pool. I have no idea if I did it right, but I attached a water hose turned on, and the pole to maneuver it, and just went over the remaining leaves and debris. Worked very well.

Here's another of the pump then, I think.

As far as water in the pump bucket - that's the weird part. With the setup I have, I don't think I can fill it up? I am supposed to be doing it with the pump turned off, right? There is a pipe connected below the level of the top where the water drains off. I put in several gallons, and it just drains away, keeping the same level.

(Here's a video, did not want to put it here as an image in case it slows this site or something: http://s1018.photobucket.com/user/Trish ... sort=3&o=0 )

Glad to know I can re-lube the o-ring. It all looks pretty clean, but that may very well be where the problem is. I've seen it shoot a tiny spray of water out around the seal when the pump is shut off, and it does appear it may be leaking slightly there.

I tried to take pics of the bubbles and rushing water but they really didn't come out that well, and it's getting too dark now.

And thanks for the encouragement, Divin Dave. It IS a bit overwhelming, at first. I'd actually been reading on here for a while, but until I starting doing a bit more hands-on and asking questions, it just wasn't sinking in. I am slowly getting a feel for some of it, now.

A little unfair, I think ... we closed on the house just at the end of pool season. I got to swim in it 3 times (froze myself getting in, but not too bad once I did). Now I get to spend all winter learning and working on it, so I hope being able to finally really enjoy it next year will be all the sweeter.

Not only that, but I feel like a new mother with a sick baby, spending hours at a time checking all these little details, working on it, reading everything I can, asking questions, checking on it again looking for any tiny little change, LOL. A little less worrisome, but otherwise just the same experience.

Thanks again for the help, everyone.

Yeah, you can not typically fill the pump basket with water when it is above the pool water level. The pump should "prime" and suck all the air out by itself. It may take a few minutes, but the pump basket should fully fill with water.

I had the same pump, given the motor, I think it is an RS1500. Anyway, mine ALWAYS squirted water out the front and back of the pump lid when the motor was turned off. But, if never pulled any air in and was always able to prime itself.

Add a picture of the entire set of equipment together so we can see how everything flows.

You have 2 valves in front of the pump. Do they both turn 90 degrees easily? I think right now they are both open. You could try close one or the other and see if the pump fully primes with only one side open.

That is if lubing the lid o-ring does not help and check the drain plug on the bottom of the pump as well that they are sealed.

Thanks, will get back to you tomorrow. It's completely dark now and I want to try to make sure I am looking at the right things. :) And see if I can take care of that o-ring in the meantime.

Thank you!

Safetybob said:
Before you get your test kit in, make an excel spreadsheet, if your a computer person, with rows for everything you can test for. You don't have to do every test every day (I do CYA once a week for example). Include a remarks row so you can write down what you have added or done to the pool. That way you won't be guessing about how much clorox you added and such.

Just offering up mine as an example-
[attachment=0:2rtf4cwc]Pool Test Record 2 copy.pdf[/attachment:2rtf4cwc]

It can easily be altered to your own type of pool which may be slightly different than mine (fiberglass, SWG, autocover, yada yada yada)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.