Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking Sand Filter/How Should I Repair?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking Sand Filter/How Should I Repair?

I have a sand filter that is leaking. There is a small leak on the side of the tank and it was spraying out a very fine stream of water. I found some epoxy putty at the hardware store and put that on and it slowed it down but am wondering what to do for a permanent fix for this season. I do have another filter that I plan on switching out next year. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am open to any suggestion. Thanks, Penny
    24 x 52 Above Ground, 13,500 gallons, overlap liner.
    250 lb sand filter
    1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking Sand Filter/How Should I Repair?

I bought my house in 99 and my pool was already here with a cracked filter. The pool supply here told me it would be about $400 to replace. Being the cheap scape that i am I took the top off and fiberglassed the inside .I'm still using the same filter now. You can get a fiberglas repair kit at Lowes for about $20. Good luck R.D.
    Roger Dean Helms

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you lose a lot of water when you took the top of the filter off?
    24 x 52 Above Ground, 13,500 gallons, overlap liner.
    250 lb sand filter
    1.5 hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

No. I drained the filter first, but there wasn't alot off water in it . It was about 1/2 full off sand so I'm guessing no more than 5-10 gallons.
    Roger Dean Helms

5. Back To Top    #5

I assume that you need to close off all the hoses to the filter. Otherwise the water would keep running. The fiberglass patch needs some time to cure without getting under water & under pressure right away. (My guess)
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can apply the epoxy putty from the inside and give it a little while to set before restarting the system it will usually last for at least a couple of years.

If the filter is above the pool water level all you need to do is open the air vent on top and it will drain down. If it is below water level you need to turn off the pipes on both sides and then opening the pump strainer basket will usually drain the filter enough to open it. Most filters also have a drain valve at the bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I forgot to tell you not to have your face right over the sand filter when you lift the top off. there was alot of clhorine gas when I pulled mine off. That will make you cough for awhile! Good luck,R.D.
    Roger Dean Helms