Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool and new owner!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool and new owner!

Well I decided it would be a good idea to build my own pool. (I don't recommend that) I am now waiting on the pebble to be installed and I'm ready to go. (With the exception of a few things, primarily the logic).

I thought I might ask for everyone's input, advice, opinion on what the best course is for starting from scratch.

I believe all the pertinent information is in my signature so if anyone has advice I'm certainly accepting! Thanks much!
    IG, Pebblesheen, 17K capacity
    Intelliflow 2hp VS pump, 30" sand w/zeolite
    Paramount infloor system
    Spillover Spa, Twirly Birds, Deck jets
    Built November 2013, Abilene Texas area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool and new owner!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Your first 2 steps are:
    1. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits. Most of use get the TF-100 as it is a better value.

2. Read Pool School to learn about the chemistry.

Is there anything specific you have questions about?
    What is your plan for adding chlorine?
    Please add your location in your profile as well.

BTW, Pebbletec usually has a start-up procedure you are supposed to follow (or hire out) for warranty purposes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Well dang it, forgot to post location, I'll correct that in the signature. It's the Abilene Texas area btw.
    Yes I plan to order kit, and have local supply test water as well.
    I do have a tab inline chlorinator installed.
    The only thing I intend to use the Easytouch logic for is to switch from pool to spa, making it easy for my wife.

Any procedures for starting up new equipment that might be helpful that may be outside the usual information. i.e. backwash the filter immediately to clean sand and gravel, run infloor for ten minutes or more before installing valve mechanism and heads to clean those etc. In other words things to look for in starting a brand new pool. Not sure there is anything outside of what I have already researched but suspected it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also are there some very basics with regards to chemicals to add immediately on a brand new start up regardless?
    Paramount infloor system

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, rand18m

Quote Originally Posted by rand18m
    I do have a tab inline chlorinator installed.
    Take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool

Quote Originally Posted by rand18m
    Also are there some very basics with regards to chemicals to add immediately on a brand new start up regardless?
    With plaster you need to follow whatever startup method is being used by the plasterer. Here are some general comments: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...aster_start-up
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

As linen pointed out, a lot of the info you are looking for is already written in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

So I guess it's safe to say that I should be using liquid chlorine and completely forget the auto chlorinator? That is likely not a big deal to do.

The plaster company installing the PebbleTec is a friend and they will certainly be part of the start up. I read in that link not to run the infloor system for 3 weeks, something else I hadn't heard before so that's certainly helpful.

Thanks much for the reply and anything else I need to know I'm certainly ready to learn. Since this is new you can imagine we are excited so we have no plans of cutting any corners.
    Paramount infloor system

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

So I guess it's safe to say that I should be using liquid chlorine and completely forget the auto chlorinator
    Not really. As you learn the FC/CYA relationship and the affect that tabs put on it, you will learn to MANAGE your pool chemistry so you can conveniently use the pucks when necessary.

I know we are harping on you to read Pool School but it's the place to start. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks duraleigh! I did read the pool school and can see it's a great resource. I am looking for advice for initial start up and that's what everyone has provided. I appreciate all the input and will see how it goes. I wasn't certain if there was some basic starting point such as with tap water add X amount per volume etc. Plus ideas for anything special during start up, which again was provided.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning about this entire process and being a part of this site.
    Paramount infloor system

9. Back To Top    #9

I stand corrected and apologize. I did read "The ABC's" but I failed to see the link at the bottom of the pool school. (actually suspected/hoped there was much more) Anyway I'm going to peruse that and start my learning process.

Thanks again and if..oh..a...when I need more help expect I'll come screaming!!

Cheers!
    Paramount infloor system

10. Back To Top    #10

Your not the first to miss that link. As you can see, there is a lot of stuff in there!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.