closing n00b - can't blow lines out

Jun 21, 2013
Hello. Terrific forum here. This is my first post after reading 100's of threads on closing an in ground, vinyl lined, salt water pool in the Midwest.

As a very mechanically inclined person, I turn to you all in defeat and frustration. I can not blow my lines out. Instead of continuing my spiral descent into another rabbit hole of message board links and posts, I am hoping that a picture truly is worth a 1000 words and somebody can look at my setup and say "here is what you need". I thank you in advance, kind internet stranger.

The attached picture shows my valves and the point from which I am trying to blow my lines out. From the left, I have one skimmer, two main drains, and two return lines. The second picture shows what I have available to accomplish this. I also have an air compressor not shown. The lines run appx 20' to the pool.

I have used the leaf blower on both lines, closing the other valves when attempting to blow them out. I'm getting nothing. Is it not enough power? Should I use the air compressor instead? What type of fitting would I use on this set up? My local pool store has not been helpful. I'm on the verge of dumping antifreeze in and crossing my fingers.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 72
Yeah, that leaf blower produces a lot of volume but nowhere near enough pressure......use the compressor.

I don't close but others will be along to advise you on the connection types that work.

I figured that was the case. I feel like I've seen the fittings before but I can't locate them now. Thanks for your quick response!

Am I good blowing the lines from there, back toward the pool? Cap the return and skimmer when it starts bubbling, add antifreeze, done? Main drains will just get antifreeze since they can't effectively be blown out?

We've had this pool for three years but I've been out of town each time it was opened or closed. It has been maintenance free so far. Hoping I"m not opening the flood gates by trying to save a few bucks. I just can't consciously continue to pay for something seemingly so simple.

Just be sure to blow out lines one at a time. simple a putting your hand over one of the returns or a plug at let er rip. give it a a fair bit of time, as some times it will just blow out a spray and gurgle. then get a flow of water after. usually depends on the pressure being used. depending on the length of your lines will determine how long to blow out. just use your good judgement. skimmer, generally takes longer as you are blowing the water up as opposed to just a horizontal. be sure to isolate your skimmer from the main drain(s) to concentrate the pressure there.

You can and probably should blow your main drain ..... i get mine bubbling and let it bubble for a minute then shut the valve and kill the compressor and the air is locked in the line keeping the water out. I also put a plug in the line on the equipment end in case the valve were to fail / leak.

ship of fools said:
You can and probably should blow your main drain ..... i get mine bubbling and let it bubble for a minute then shut the valve and kill the compressor and the air is locked in the line keeping the water out. I also put a plug in the line on the equipment end in case the valve were to fail / leak.

This confuses me a bit. I can wrap my head around the need to blow the drains out, but the only valve I have (to my knowledge) is on the equipment end, 20-30 feet away. Oh wait....is there a check valve on the main drains? That would make sense. They only allow water though when suction is applied? How do they allow water through the other direction when blowing them out?

I did rig up a PVC "blow out plug" last night. It sure doesn't seem like it will generate enough pressure to blow anything out but we'll see. My air compressor is definitely large enough if people are doing it with portables. Haven't been able to try it out now that it's dark at 5:00. So tired of thinking about this. I hate not making forward progress.

I just caught the name .... i loved the Dukes of Hazzard

I just do what i watched the guy i paid to do it the first year did. I guess the idea is if you have the line from the pump to the main drain full of air and then close the valve that air gets trapped in there and there is no room for water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.