Do standard lights come in different wattages?

Aug 5, 2013
Maryland
I would really appreciate some advice regarding pool lights.

For our pool project I believe we should have two pool lights. I believe both lights should be installed on the house side of the pool, to reduce glare, with one near the shallow end the other near the deep end.

Two 500 watt lights seem much too bright on a 18’ X 36’ pool so I was wondering if the lights are sold in lower wattages or if can connect the lights to a dimmer switch. LED’s aren’t in the budget so I need to know what my options are for standard lights.

Attachments

• v7 358KB.jpg
    v7 358KB.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 49
Lights are available in 2-3 wattages.....500 being the max.

I like your location ideas. Pointed AWAY from where you commonly sit (which is usually the house side) works very well.

While I have a somewhat larger pool (25x53), I have 2-500's and it is not too much at all.

Dimmers seem to be seldom used on pool lights but I don't think there is any reason why they can't be. I would consider 2-500's on a dimmer switch (for outdoor use and protected from the elements if you can) to give you a nice range.

You could then adjust the lights to whatever suited you each time you used the pool.

We are going with two 400w for our 18 X 36 free form. I haven't thought of a dimmer, but have thought about a switch for each one. We too decided against LED, mainly for price, but also for brightness.

A couple of thoughts:

I would say that no matter what the wattage you need 2 lights for the size of the pool you want. With only one you will have dark spots. It won't look right.

Second I'd look at LEDs again. They are expensive but in my experience well worth the cost. Less expensive to operate and the ability to change the colors makes them much more versatile when you are just sitting by the pools sipping port after dinner.

Many thanks for all the excellent feedback.

Our builder thought two lights would be too bright on a pool this size but I have my doubts. I would hate to settle for one and then have regrets later after the pool is finished…by then it would be too late to make a change.

My wife is somewhat sensitive to high intensity lighting so she was wondering if a LED light would be less intense.

I know the LED’s come with a remote to change the color; will the remote allow you to dim it as well?

I had occasion to visit a pool for a few days with a medium blue gray color pebble finish. The pool had LED color changing lights.

The combination of the color changing lights (must've been about 5 lights) with that blue gray finish was almost cartoonish. It reminded me a bit of a state fair vendor booth.

From a safety standpoint, the lighting was inadequate and, reflecting off that finish, gave the pool sort of a cheap look....this was no cheap pool by any definition.

My takeaway from observing that pool for a few nights is that if they had used white plaster, they may have gotten adequate light but the color of the pool finish made the lighting inadequate.

Secondly, the aesthetic affect of that everchanging color parade couldn't hold a candle to the 2-500w standard bulbs in my pool. The lights from my pool cast a reflective light on the entire area and it creates a very pleasing and mood setting indirect lighting on the trees, decking, etc.

All this observation is subjective only but it really reaffirmed for me that just plain adequate lighting on a light colored pool finish is about as good as it gets.

I tend to agree with the above. I've seen one color change pool at night, just didn't care for it. But also because I like the natural refraction colors you see with lighter finishes any time around the clock. Even in a white pool you see that at night with standard lights.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.